Accident With a Drunk Driver
If you were injured in an accident with a drunk driver, our lawyers in New York want to help you fight for monetary compensation. Not only would this money enable you to afford the things you need, but it can also help ensure the drunk driver is held responsible for their recklessness.
Call Shulman & Hill at (555) 555-5555 to learn more about your legal rights following a drunk driving accident. Our New York car accident team welcomes the chance to work hard on your behalf, no matter how straightforward or difficult your case seems.
How Our Lawyers Handle Drunk Driving Accident Cases
At Shulman & Hill, every case is personal to us. We understand that this is a difficult, traumatizing time for your family, and we want to do everything possible to take some of that stress and anxiety off your shoulders by:
- Offering you a free case review, so you can learn more about your rights at no cost or obligation
- Giving you honest, compassionate advice about your case and legal options
- Staying in touch, so you do not have to worry about contacting other parties or being kept in the dark about how your case is progressing
- Guiding you toward smart decisions without dictating how you should manage their case
- Charging no attorney’s fees up front and accepting a portion of your compensation as payment rather than making you pay out of pocket
If you hire us, you gain a determined ally in the fight for fair compensation. Our office is equipped to handle all manner of legal tasks, including but not limited to:
- Collecting evidence to demonstrate how you have suffered due to the drunk driver’s recklessness
- Sending a demand letter to the drunk driver that details your injuries and how much money you want them to pay you in compensation
- Negotiating with the drunk driver’s representatives to ensure you recover a fair amount of damages
- Preparing the settlement agreement, if negotiations end successfully with an equitable settlement offer
- Making arrangements to take your case to trial, if we feel that is the right option in your situation
- Representing you in the courtroom by presenting evidence, questioning witnesses, and submitting any other materials the judge asks for
It takes a great deal of work, time, and effort to mount a successful legal action following a drunk driving accident. Shulman & Hill can do all of that work for you so that you can focus solely on your recovery.
Finding the Right Accident Lawyer
With so many personal injury law firms available, it may seem like an impossible task to find the best attorney for you. You can make sure you hire the right lawyer by:
- Meeting with multiple firms
- Asking each firm about how they operate and how they think your case may go
- Taking notes at each meeting
- Carefully reviewing the firm’s contract before you sign
- Avoiding any firm that refuses to answer your questions, pressures you to sign on quickly, or makes you feel uncomfortable in any way
What Is a Contingency Fee?
You may see the phrase “contingency fee” as you search for a lawyer to represent you. A contingency fee simply means that the law firm does not expect you to pay them any attorney’s fees unless and until they end up recovering compensation for you.
In other words, after an accident with a drunk driver, our lawyers in New York can start working for you even before you pay us a cent. This arrangement benefits you by:
- Saving you money, as you do not have to pay our fee out of pocket
- Making our services more accessible, even if you do not have the resources to pay our fee up front
- Ensuring that we do not profit from your case unless you do, making us partners in the truest sense of the word
Shulman & Hill is happy to work on a contingency-fee basis, but not all law firms do so. When considering firms, you will want to ask each one about their fees, when they expect payment, and how much you will pay. The last thing you want is to be surprised by unexpected fees or expenses halfway through your lawsuit.
Getting Fair Compensation for Your Drunk Driving Accident
According to CPLR § 214, you have the right to seek compensation at any time within three years of the accident date. While this is a general rule—the court does make exceptions—it is always best to get started as soon as possible. This way, you:
- Give us more time to figure out the best way of handling your case
- May make it easier for us to find evidence, as many forms of proof become more difficult to locate as time passes
- May be able to get your money quicker—the sooner we get the ball rolling, the sooner we can reach an agreement with the other side
After an accident with a drunk driver, our lawyers in New York realize that you will rest easier knowing that you have recovered enough compensation to cover your needs. Shulman & Hill always works diligently for clients in need of damages to cover:
One of your biggest worries after an accident might be monetary. How will you pay for the medical care you need to recover or manage symptoms? What will your family live off of if you cannot work? What happens if you can never return to work?
These are frightening questions. Fortunately, financial compensation paid by the drunk driver can make a huge difference in helping you:
- Afford all of the medical care you need, both now and in the future
- Pay bills until you are able to return to work or find a new job
- Support your family over the long term if you cannot work as much as you used to do
Physical and Emotional Losses
Also called “pain and suffering,” this damage refers to the physical and psychological consequences of your injuries. The only reason you have had to experience such pain is the drunk driver’s decision to behave recklessly. They should, therefore, compensate you for the distress and anguish they caused.
Parties Involved in Drunk Driving Accidents
It may seem pointless or redundant to ask who is responsible for your collision with a drunk driver. Surely the drunk driver will be the target of your lawsuit?
In some cases, it really is that simple. However, you cannot be certain that your case is so straightforward until Shulman & Hill has a chance to investigate. The evidence we collect may reveal that:
- Someone’s car malfunctioned, so the auto part manufacturer or mechanic shares culpability for what happened to you.
- The roadway was unsafe, so the local government shares partial responsibility for your accident.
- A third driver was involved in the crash, and they also behaved recklessly.
What happens if we do find another liable party? Then, we may be able to file a lawsuit against them as well and secure additional compensation for your family.
By allowing us to search for the truth behind your accident, you can be completely sure that you hold all liable parties accountable and that you receive all of the damages you are entitled to recover.
Drunk Driving Can Be Fatal
Sometimes, a person’s accident injuries are too serious for them to recover from. If your family now faces this situation, please accept our sincere condolences.
Some key differences between personal injury cases and wrongful death cases you should know about include:
- Lawsuit beneficiaries: The surviving relatives who could receive money from a wrongful death lawsuit and how much of the total settlement they receive may vary from case to case.
- Available damages: You could recover compensation for your own losses, such as loss of financial support, as well as any damages your loved one never recovered for themselves, such as their conscious pain and suffering.
- The statute of limitations: You have less time to file a wrongful death case than a personal injury case. According to EPTL § 5-4.1, the deadline is generally just two years.
Shulman & Hill handles both personal injury and wrongful death cases. If you have lost a loved one in a drunk driving accident or do not expect to live long enough to see your case resolved, we want to help. Our team can fight hard in pursuit of the compensation your family needs to rebuild.
Hire Our Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Today
If you would like to learn more about Shulman & Hill’s services and track record, please call (555) 555-5555. A member of our team would be happy to assess your case at no charge. After an accident with a drunk driver, our lawyers in New York can take charge of your case while you focus on rebuilding your life.
WE WORK WITH YOU
TO GET YOU COMPENSATED
Everyday working people often struggle to afford top-tier legal representation. To ensure equal access to justice, we work on a contingency-fee basis. You pay no attorneys’ fees unless we achieve a settlement or verdict in your case.
More practice areas
Over 400 million dollars won