Traveling throughout New York City is now easier than ever now thanks to ridesharing. Services like Lyft allow Long Island City residents to get to Manhattan and other boroughs with the tap of a button.
With new technology come new issues: it is important to remember that there is always a possibility of being harmed in a Lyft accident. Any time you are a passenger in a vehicle, you are at risk of being injured in an accident. You may also be hurt in a Long Island City Lyft accident without being a Lyft passenger. If a negligent Lyft driver is on the road near you, you may be in danger.
Have you or a loved one been injured in a Lyft accident in Long Island City? If so, you should meet with an experienced Lyft accident attorney. You may be entitled to compensation for your various losses resulting from the accident. A dedicated Lyft accident lawyer at Shulman & Hill can offer the aggressive representation you need to recover what you may be entitled to.
Frequent Causes of Lyft Accidents in Long Island City
Lyft drivers can drive recklessly and carelessly like any other driver. Driving while distracted or speeding can be dangerous for anyone involved and can result in a serious crash.
Some of the most common causes of Lyft accidents in Long Island City include:
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Intoxicated driving
- Sleep-deprived driving
- Driving while distracted
- Improper lane usage
- Disobeying traffic signals
Common Lyft Accidents in Long Island City
While each accident is unique, there are a few common types of crashes. Some of the most common Lyft incidents are:
Rear-end collisions most often occur while the victim is stopped at a red light or stop sign. The negligent party often does not see or does not recognize that the flow of traffic has slowed or, in some cases, stopped entirely. This leads to failure to reduce their speed enough to prevent a collision and ultimately running into the rear of the vehicle in front of them. These collisions can result in whiplash, traumatic brain injuries, soft tissue injuries, and more.
Broadside collisions are incredibly devastating. One vehicle hits another perpendicular to their direction of travel. An example of this would be a driver proceeding through a four-way stop when it is their turn, only to have another driver fail to stop entirely, running headlong into the side of their vehicle. These are very violent crashes that can result in nearly any injury imaginable, from cuts and bruises to brain injuries and paralyzing spinal cord damage.
Sideswipes are generally mild to moderate accidents unless they occur at a high speed. They are most common when one party fails to check their blind spot before changing lanes, and moves their vehicle into another while traveling more or less parallel. Injuries from these collisions can vary depending on how the accident progresses after the impact. Some end with relatively minor injuries, while in other cases cars are forced off the roadway by the other driver. When this occurs, the affected driver, their passengers, and any occupants in other vehicles they may hit can be severely injured.
Common Lyft Accident Injuries
Most injuries obtained in a Lyft accident will fall in one of the following categories:
- Cuts and lacerations: If a window breaks upon impact, the glass can result in deep cuts that require medical attention.
- Soft tissue injuries. Injuries affecting the muscles, ligaments, and tendons can be chronic and cause a lifetime of pain.
- Broken bones. Broken bones are fairly common and can be incredibly painful. They often require months to heal properly.
- Brain & spine injuries. Some of the most severe and often longest-lasting injuries are injuries affecting the brain and spine. If severe enough, these can be permanent or even fatal.
What Damages Can Lyft Accident Victims Seek?
After a Lyft accident, injured passengers or drivers may be able to seek additional compensation for their losses by filing a lawsuit against the negligent driver who caused the crash. Compensation can help cover:
- Medical expenses. When estimating your losses, it is important to not only account for current expenses but any projected future costs as well. Bills for extensive treatment or permanently disabling injuries may also be compensated.
- Lost wages. While you were being treated for your injuries, you may have missed work and lost income as a result. This may make your financial situation more challenging, especially with medical bills piling up.
- Pain and suffering: Lyft accidents can result in painful and debilitating injuries. For some, the pain never fully goes away.
An experienced Lyft accident attorney can help you review all of your relevant losses. The Long Island City lawyers at Shulman & Hill will fight on your behalf to help secure a fair settlement offer or verdict while you focus on your health.
What to Do After a Long Island City Lyft Accident
The most important steps to take after being involved in a Lyft accident are:
- Move to a safe location: If you are able to move unassisted, try to move your vehicle and/or yourself out of traffic.
- Report your accident: Call the police and do not leave the scene until they say it is okay to do so.
- Document as much as possible: Take pictures and videos of the crash scene, damage to vehicles, visible injuries, and license plate numbers of the vehicles involved. Also, be sure to get the contact information of the other drivers as well as any witnesses.
- Visit a doctor: Even if your injuries appear minor, you should still see a doctor as you may not feel the full effects of the crash until later on.
- Call Shulman & Hill: The sooner our Long Island City car accident lawyers can start investigating your crash and gathering relevant evidence to help you secure compensation, the better.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
At Shulman & Hill, we take every case seriously. When you work with us, you can trust that your case will be handled with a careful and personalized approach. Our lawyers are specially trained to help you through every step of your legal journey. After a Lyft accident, you should shift your focus to what is most important: your recovery.
Accidents can have complicated consequences, with the potential to cause life-altering injuries. If you have been involved in a Lyft accident in Long Island City, you may be entitled to compensation. After seeking necessary medical treatment, contact the attorneys at Shulman & Hill and schedule a free legal consultation.