Choosing to navigate New York by bike rather than a car is good for both your health and the environment. However, if you are ever involved in an accident it can result in severe and sometimes catastrophic injuries since a bike does not offer the same protection that other vehicles do. If you are involved in a New York bike accident with a negligent driver, there is a strong chance your injuries could be life-altering and require extensive medical treatment and care.
If you are ever injured in a bike accident caused by another party’s negligence, you should seek compensation accordingly. Contact one of the New York bike accident attorneys at Shulman & Hill to discuss your legal options. We offer free legal consultations and if you work with us, you will only pay when and if we recover compensation for you.
Important Information About New York Bike Accidents
Although the rate of bike accidents in New York is slightly decreasing, bike accident rates per capita still tend to be greater in dense areas like New York.
The following are just a few of the reasons a New York bike accident may occur:
- A driver was disobeying the law or otherwise driving carelessly.
- A driver was distracted (this may be an increasingly common problem due to the rise of smartphones).
- A driver did not see a bicyclist. Bicycles are smaller than other vehicles and drivers sometimes overlook them on the road.
- A government agency failed to properly maintain the road.
- A defect, whether in the bike itself or another driver’s vehicle, resulted in an accident.
The Potential Consequences of a New York Bike Accident
Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicate that compared to drivers or occupants of motor vehicles, cyclists are at a greater risk of being injured or killed in crashes. In fact, horseback riding is the only sport or recreational activity with a higher injury rate than cycling.
A New York bike accident can leave you with a range of potential injuries. They include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Abrasions and/or road rash: When a cyclist is thrown from their bikes, any exposed skin may be vulnerable to road rash and similar abrasions. These can cause substantial pain.
- Head trauma: It is crucial that cyclists protect themselves by wearing helmets whenever they are cycling. However, a helmet does not guarantee they will not sustain some form of head trauma in an accident. This type of injury can have lasting effects on cognition, memory, and overall mental health.
- Broken bones: Breaks or fractures are very common results of New York bike accidents.
- Disfigurement: Some bike accident injuries are severe enough to substantially alter a victim’s appearance.
- Impalement: In some of the most serious accidents, cyclists can become impaled by parts of their bicycle, like the handlebars, upon impact with a motor vehicle.
Any type of injury sustained in a New York bike accident may require extensive medical treatment. If an injury prevents you from working (whether temporarily or permanently) you might struggle to earn a paycheck and pay for unexpected medical expenses. A lawsuit may result in compensation for these financial losses.
You may also be entitled to compensation for losses that are not strictly financial, including pain and suffering. Just be aware that your chances of collecting compensation are often greater if you hire a qualified personal injury law firm in New York, like Shulman & Hill.
Seeking Compensation After a New York Bike Accident
If you were involved in a bike accident and the driver of the vehicle that struck you was negligent and responsible in some way, you may be entitled to compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit. In the tragic event of a fatality, the surviving family members may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
The Role of a New York Bike Accident Attorney
As one might expect, insurance companies are not always motivated to compensate you for your full range of losses. As a business, an insurance company’s priorities often involve protecting its own financial interests. Before you reach a fair settlement offer, some companies may attempt to undervalue your claim.
The following are some tactics an insurer may employ:
- Arguing that you violated a traffic law.
- Arguing that your losses are not substantial enough to justify the amount of compensation you are seeking
- Arguing you have not provided sufficient evidence proving the negligent party caused your accident
These are all reasons why it may be wise to enlist the help of a bike accident law firm in New York when filing a lawsuit. Your lawyer can investigate the accident to determine the party(s) at fault.
Our personal injury lawyers can also collect evidence to strengthen your case, file all the necessary paperwork, and apply their understanding of how insurers operate in these circumstances to negotiate for a fair settlement. If an appropriate settlement cannot be reached, they can help you pursue a favorable verdict in trial.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
Some New York bike accident lawyers will claim they have the skills and experience necessary to handle your case. But not every law firm can actually deliver on these promises. Shulman & Hill can.
Shulman & Hill has a proven track record of helping clients just like you secure compensation for their injuries and losses. Call us today at 212-221-1000 or schedule a free legal consultation online to learn more.