Air travel is among mankind’s most impressive achievements. Since its inception, it has become one of the most reliable and pleasant conveniences of the modern age. Although mild weather delays and other inconveniences will always persist, flights have become mostly painless and easy to manage. They can also save you thousands of dollars and countless hours of travel.
Unfortunately, there is a good reason as to why many fear flying and airplanes in general. Although airplane accidents are far less common than car accidents, this concern persists. Although less frequent than other vehicle accidents, airplane accidents can be absolutely devastating and downright deadly.
Have you been hurt or lost a loved one in a New York City plane accident? If so, you may want to review your case with a lawyer at Shulman & Hill. Our New York City plane accident attorneys are prepared to offer aggressive representation.
Types of New York City Plane Accidents
New York City plane injuries and ailments can take a variety of forms. A crash is just one type of accident. Others may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Becoming ill after eating expired or contaminated food on a plane;
- Being struck by a falling plane door;
- Being involved in an accident at the airport, such as a slip and fall;
- Being injured on a plane in an accident resulting from a defect or improperly-maintained components of the plane, such as a seat or overhead luggage door;
- Accidents (whether on a plane or at the airport) resulting from poor security.
If you are not sure if an incident you encountered on a plane would qualify, contact a personal injury lawyer in New York City for further details. If you have been injured, we can help you pursue the compensation to which you may be entitled.
Causes of New York City Plane Accidents
Just as there are many potential types of New York City plane accidents, New York City plane accidents have many potential causes. A few causes include:
We trust that pilots will not put us at risk by flying while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Unfortunately, this is a more common problem than many realize.
An intoxicated pilot may be more likely to:
- Overlook signs or warnings of dangerous conditions;
- Fail to exercise proper judgment;
- Violate safety regulations;
- Ignore the directions of air traffic controllers.
A pilot is not the only individual whose negligence could put you at risk. An air traffic controller may also cause an accident if they are intoxicated or otherwise negligent.
Vehicle defects can also cause many types of New York City plane accidents. Defective engines, safety gear, and various other components of a plane may put you in harm’s way.
Airline negligence can also be a factor that may cause a New York City plane accident. For example, a ground crew may fail to thoroughly refuel a plane. Flight attendants could also be liable if they fail to explain proper safety procedures. Accidents resulting from airline negligence can also happen when airlines hire pilots or other employees who are not qualified for their jobs.
A pilot does not need to be intoxicated to put passengers at risk. Sometimes, errors resulting from carelessness are significant enough to cause New York City plane accidents. Such errors may include:
- Forgetting steps during pre-takeoff safety checks;
- Overlooking readouts;
- Making unnecessary course adjustments;
- Failing to properly judge the risks posed by dangerous weather conditions.
Remember, New York City plane accidents may also technically be considered airport accidents. Perhaps airport management failed to install sufficient outdoor lighting. As a result, you may be injured in a slip and fall or similar accident because you tripped over an obstruction in the parking lot that you were unable to see at night. Unfortunately, even a basic falling accident has the potential to cause serious injury.
Seeking Compensation After a New York City Plane Accident
The struggles and losses you may face in the aftermath of a New York City plane accident can vary depending on the severity of your injuries. They may include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Psychological trauma
- Pain and Suffering
- Emotional and/or mental trauma
- Overall diminished quality of life
You may also face a range of difficulties if a loved one was killed in a New York City plane accident. Along with struggling emotionally after the loss, you may also lose your family’s sole financial provider. As a result, you may face a significant financial burden for years to come.
You may be entitled to compensation for your losses when a New York City plane accident occurred as the result of another party’s negligence. You may be able to maximize your chances of collecting a settlement by coordinating with a personal injury law firm in New York City.
The Role of a Plane Accident Law Firm in New York City
There are many ways our New York City plane accident lawyers can help you secure the compensation to which you may be entitled. They include:
- Investigating the accident to accurately identify all negligent parties;
- Carefully reviewing your losses (including potential future losses) to determine how much compensation you may be entitled to;
- Filing a formal demand letter;
- Providing evidence to show that, given the extent and severity of your losses, the amount of compensation you are asking for is reasonable;
- Rejecting subpar offers from an insurance company;
- Going to court to reach a fair settlement.
After a New York City plane accident, your focus should be on making a full recovery. Our attorneys at Shulman & Hill can handle the claims process.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
When you are considering an attorney from Shulman & Hill, we can point to our past successes to showcase our familiarity with personal injury cases. We have helped clients like you secure compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. However, every case is unique. To learn more, call us today at 212-221-1000 or schedule a free consultation online.