Uber has made getting around New York easier than ever in recent years. However, an Uber trip could result in a trip to the hospital if you are involved in an accident resulting from someone else’s negligence.
You may deserve to be compensated for your losses if this happens. Our New York Uber accident lawyers at Shulman & Hill will help you find out and pursue what you may be entitled to.
The Potential Consequences of a New York Uber Accident
Any type of car accident can potentially leave you with significant injuries. The struggles you face as a result of your injuries may be wide-ranging. The following are merely a few noteworthy examples:
- Medical bills. A significant injury will require treatment. You should not have to pay for said treatment when you were only injured because someone else was negligent.
- Lost wages. Depending on the severity of your injuries, they may make it difficult or impossible for you to fulfill your duties at work. Sometimes this is temporary, but it can be permanent. Regardless, if you cannot work, you most likely cannot make a living.
- Pain, anxiety, and other struggles that do not have an objective monetary value.
- Limited mobility or paralysis. Spinal cord injuries are particularly likely to cause such problems.
- Cognition problems resulting from head injuries.
When you are involved in an Uber accident because another party was negligent, you might be entitled to compensation for such losses. You need to be aware that pursuing it can be difficult if you do not enlist the help of a legal professional with the necessary expertise. Coordinating with a personal injury law firm in New York is a wise idea in these circumstances.
New York Uber Accidents: Common Causes
New York Uber accidents can happen for a variety of reasons, such as the following:
- An Uber driver was not obeying the rules of the road.
- An Uber driver was intoxicated.
- An Uber driver was not qualified to drive in certain conditions. Unfortunately, reports indicate that Uber does not offer the company’s drivers sufficient training. Thus, in a busy state such as New York, where safely navigating the roads can be more difficult than it is in other parts of the state, an Uber driver may not have the skills necessary to get you from point A to point B.
- You encountered hazardous conditions because those responsible for maintaining the road were negligent.
- A vehicle defect caused an accident.
- Another driver was negligent.
Those examples highlight an important point: Uber is not always the party responsible for compensating you if you are involved in a New York Uber accident. They may be responsible for compensating you if you can prove that your driver was negligent, or that they negligently hired a driver without the necessary qualifications, but there are potential scenarios in which another party is responsible for providing the compensation you may be entitled to.
To touch on one of the examples above, perhaps the accident occurred because a road was not properly maintained. If that is the case, those who failed to maintain the road are responsible for compensating you.
Pursuing Compensation After a New York Uber Accident
It is not always immediately clear whose negligence caused a New York Uber accident. That is why it is important to conduct a thorough investigation. You can only secure compensation if you know who is responsible for providing it.
This is one of many reasons it is smart to hire a New York Uber accident attorney. At our Uber accident law firm in New York, we have both the expertise and resources necessary to investigate your accident. We will make sure we accurately identify the negligent party.
Once you know who the negligent party potentially is, you can seek compensation by filing a claim against their insurer. This is one more reason you need a New York Uber accident lawyer.
The negligent party’s insurer may not be incentivized to compensate you fairly, but might instead prioritize their own financial interests. Insurance companies are notorious for lowballing claimants. An insurer might even try to deny your claim entirely if they believe they can successfully argue they are not responsible for compensating you in these circumstances.
Even if an insurer is willing to compensate you, they might not offer a fair payout at first. An adjuster might try to argue you are entitled to less compensation than you are seeking.
They may use a range of tactics to do so. For example, an adjuster might start a conversation by asking how you are feeling on a given day. While you may be struggling with severe pain, you might also casually respond that you are feeling fine. An adjuster can use such a statement to claim you do not deserve compensation for severe pain because, according to you, you were feeling well that day.
This does not mean you cannot reach a fair settlement with an insurance company. It simply means you have a substantially better chance of doing so if you hire a New York Uber accident lawyer.
The Role of Your New York Uber Accident Lawyer
Investigating your accident to determine whose negligence caused it is just one way we help. We also handle the following tasks:
- Accurately calculating how much compensation you may be entitled to.
- Referencing evidence to show why you are seeking an appropriate amount of compensation.
- Filing paperwork by the deadline.
- Rejecting low offers from an insurer. In fact, a lawyer can typically handle all major correspondence with an insurance company for you. This gives you more freedom to focus on your recovery. It also limits the chances of you accidentally harming your claim by saying something wrong to an adjuster.
- Filing a lawsuit if you cannot reach a fair settlement.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill When You Need a New York Uber Accident Lawyer?
Not all personal injury lawyers in New York are qualified to handle your case. You need to be confident that you have hired a New York Uber accident attorney who knows how to help you secure a fair amount of compensation. That is why we do not simply promise to deliver results. Instead, we reference past results. By directly showing you how we have successfully helped other clients in the past, we prove we can offer you the same aggressive representation. Call us today at 212-221-1000 to learn more.