Forklifts are useful machines that help factories, stores, and warehouses in Queens move goods quickly and easily. Unfortunately, forklift accidents can happen when the operator is not properly trained on how to use the equipment, the forklift malfunctions, or there are insufficient safety procedures in place at a worksite. Regardless of the cause of the accident, forklift-related injuries can be severe and even fatal.
At Shulman & Hill, we are proud to help our clients navigate the complexities of forklift accident claims. Our Queens lawyers can listen to your story, investigate your case, and determine the best course of action for pursuing compensation for your losses. Contact us for a free case review to get started.
Common Forklift Accidents in Queens
There are several common causes of forklift accidents. Many can be traced back to an employee not receiving the proper training or instructions to operate the equipment safely. Here are some of the most common causes of forklift accidents:
- Drivers who are not well trained. Simply put, if the driver of a forklift does not know how to operate a forklift safely, an accident can occur.
- Speeding. A driver rushing to complete assignments may drive too quickly. Excessive speed reduces reaction time and can lead to serious accidents.
- Operating with an elevated load. This can impair a driver’s vision and make it harder to control the forklift.
- Improper turning. A forklift turns a little bit differently than other vehicles. If the driver is inexperienced and cannot maneuver well, the results can be catastrophic.
- Improperly riding on a forklift. This may seem like a harmless thing to do, but when workers other than the operator ride on a forklift they may be seriously injured.
- Insufficient space. If the workplace is not designed for a forklift, this can make it difficult for the driver to maneuver the forklift and may result in an accident.
- Loads that are unbalanced or not secure. If the load being carried is unbalanced, it can cause problems for the driver. Failure to secure loads properly can leave a forklift off balance and result in objects falling or the forklift overturning.
- Mechanical failure. If a forklift is not working properly and the issues are not caught or addressed during inspections, it can cause an accident. In some cases, inspections are missed altogether.
Am I Entitled to Compensation After a Queens Forklift Accident?
If you are in a forklift accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses related to the accident. Each case is different, so the types of compensation you may be able to seek for your injuries will depend on a variety of factors.
If you are injured while working, you likely qualify for workers’ compensation benefits. This can help cover your medical expenses and time off from work. If a general contractor, subcontractor, or property owner’s negligence caused your accident, you may be able to pursue additional compensation by filing a lawsuit. A lawsuit can help recover compensation for non-financial losses, like pain and suffering, that are not covered under workers’ compensation.
If you lost a loved one due to a forklift accident, you may still be entitled to compensation. This can result in compensation for loss of support, funeral expenses, and more.
Our Queens forklift accident lawyers can thoroughly investigate your accident and gather evidence showing how or your loved one you were injured and why you are entitled to compensation.
What Should I Do After a Forklift Accident?
After a forklift accident has occurred, the first thing you should do is report the injury to your employer. If your injuries are too severe to do this, then get to the hospital right away and report the accident as soon as you are healthy enough to do so. This can help ensure that your accident and injuries are properly documented before you forget any important details. Make sure a written report is created, and ask if you can receive a copy for your records.
Even if your injuries do not seem severe, you should still visit a doctor. The severity of your injuries may not be immediately apparent. Visiting the doctor can also create documentation that outlines the extent of your injuries. Follow all recommendations regarding medical treatment and therapy. This may not only help you with your recovery, but it could also be crucial for your claim.
How Can a Queens Forklift Accident Law Firm Help?
Pursuing compensation after a forklift accident can be overwhelming when you are still recovering from your injuries. One of our Queens attorneys that specializes in forklift accidents can not only help you file for workers’ compensation benefits and/or a personal injury lawsuit, but they can also help you gather evidence that illustrates why you qualify for compensation.
If your claims for compensation are denied, delayed, or undervalued, Shulman & Hill can fight on your behalf.
Why You Should Choose Shulman & Hill
At Shulman & Hill, we take every case seriously. We have helped injured New Yorkers recover millions of dollars in compensation. Our Queens forklift accident lawyers are specially trained to help you through every step of your legal journey, allowing you to shift your focus to what is most important: your recovery and long-term well-being.
Forklift accidents are serious events with the potential to cause life-altering injuries. If you have been involved in a workplace accident, you may be entitled to compensation. After seeking necessary medical treatment, contact the attorneys at Shulman & Hill to explore your options for pursuing compensation.