Working in manufacturing can be dangerous in many ways. Factories and other industrial jobs have strict safety practices in place to prevent injury and dangerous conditions. Cutting corners, rushing to get work done, and not following those guidelines can have severe repercussions. The resulting lost wages and hefty medical bills from an industrial or manufacturing injury can be financially devastating.
If you are a factory worker who was injured on the job, consider hiring a Staten Island industrial and manufacturing accidents lawyer at Shulman & Hill. Our workers’ compensation attorneys can help explain your legal rights during a free legal consultation.
Causes of Staten Island Industrial and Manufacturing Accidents
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, motor vehicle body and trailer manufacturing had the highest number of injuries in the manufacturing industry in 2019. The injuries that can happen in factories, warehouses, or other manufacturing jobs can range widely in severity. Some of the most common causes are:
- Improperly maintained equipment. Each piece of potentially dangerous equipment in manufacturing facilities comes with its own set of guidelines for proper maintenance. When that maintenance is not performed regularly or thoroughly enough, serious accidents can happen.
- Slips and falls. This is a potential danger at nearly every job, but in a busy, fast-paced warehouse or factory, there is an even bigger risk for slips and falls. Property owners, contractors, and employers should vigilantly check for potential fall risks throughout each shift.
- Improper lifting. When you work on a job where heavy lifting is a normal part of your day, following best practices for lifting is imperative. Lack of proper body mechanics, poor posture, or not wearing a back brace can lead to severe long-term injuries.
- Errors while operating heavy machinery. Operating large machines such as forklifts can lead to severe injuries and even be fatal. Workers typically require specialized training and protective gear to operate these machines.
Common Types of Industrial and Manufacturing Accident Injuries
Factories and other manufacturing sites have a high potential for injury. Some of the more common injuries in industrial environments include:
The Aftermath of a Staten Island Industrial or Manufacturing Accident
Working with heavy machinery and other equipment is never without risk. No matter how comfortable and efficient you are at your job, the equipment can fail without warning. The best thing to do to minimize risk is to always follow the most stringent safety practices and wear the appropriate protective gear provided to you. When accidents do happen on the job, you may have options to ease your financial burden.
Workers’ compensation benefits are offered to most employees in New York City to help with the costs associated with missing work and treating their injuries. Some of the benefits that might be available to you through workers’ compensation include:
- Weekly payments to make up for lost wages
- Financial coverage for medical costs
- Death benefits for loved ones, including funeral cost reimbursement
In some cases, workers’ compensation will be the only option available to you for your manufacturing job injury. However, if the negligence of a third party—including a property owner, general contractor, or subcontractor—contributed to your accident, you may be able to pursue additional compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit.
How Can a Workers’ Compensation Attorney Help?
There are many reasons to seek out a qualified industrial and manufacturing accident lawyer when you are injured on the job. Filing a workers’ compensation claim can be tedious without the support of an attorney. Our lawyers at Shulman & Hill can ensure that the process is completed thoroughly, greatly reducing the chance for delays or denials.
Even with perfectly completed paperwork, things can still go wrong when filing for workers’ compensation. Your claim could be disputed or denied when:
- The paperwork is not filled out correctly or is missing information
- Your employer denies that the accident happened at work and no witnesses can support your account of the event
- There is not sufficient proof that your injury was a result of the work accident
- You did not seek medical attention soon enough after the injury
An industrial and manufacturing injury attorney at Shulman & Hill can help you complete the paperwork and assist with your claim from beginning to end while you get back on your feet.
How Can a Staten Island Personal Injury Lawyer Help You?
If a third party contributed to your injuries, such as a property owner or general contractor, you may be able to file a lawsuit to recover additional compensation for pain and suffering and other losses related to your injury. An attorney can help you recover a fair settlement or verdict that covers the full extent of your losses.
A Staten Island industrial and manufacturing lawyer can help investigate and identify negligent parties, gather evidence, and talk to experts to show how your injury was caused and the long-term effects on your daily life.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
At Shulman & Hill, we take every case seriously. When you work with us, you can trust that you are in good hands. Since we opened our doors in 2013, we have helped clients recover millions of dollars in compensation. Our lawyers are specially trained to help you through every step of your legal journey, allowing you to focus on what is most important: your recovery.
Industrial and manufacturing accidents are serious and can potentially cause life-altering injuries. If you have been involved in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation. After seeking necessary medical treatment, contact the attorneys at Shulman & Hill to discuss the details of your case.