Abogado de lesiones laborales en el hospital en Nueva York
With the abundance of state-of-the-art equipment and medical experts around every corner, one might think that hospitals are a safe place to work. Although many people think of hospitals as a place to recuperate, it is actually one of the most dangerous places you could work or even just visit. Injuries to hospital workers cost the industry more than $6 billion dollars a year. Surprisingly, injuries to hospital workers far outnumber their counterparts in construction, manufacturing plants, coal mines, and factories.
Not many people understand the true dangers that lurk in the corridors of these buildings. In densely populated areas like New York City, these hazards are an even greater cause for concern. If you or a loved one has been injured while working at a hospital, our hospital injury lawyers at Shulman & Hill can help.
What types of hazards are found in a hospital in New York City?
There are many different safety hazards one may encounter while working in a hospital. The following are some of the most common causes of injuries that occur in hospitals:
- Sharp and contaminated objects, such as needles or surgical instruments, are a hazard because they can cause infection in the event of an accident. This can cause a puncture wound or infect the worker with bacteria.
- Moving and lifting patients are some of the most common causes of hospital injuries. Not procuring adequate ergonomics can cause pulls, tears or muscle strains. These injuries are not only painful but can sometimes require surgery to heal.
- Working consecutive shifts is a common occurrence in the medical field. However, this can lead to fatigue and overexertion . As expected, this can be very dangerous for both the worker and the patients under his care.
- Exposure to bodily fluids, infectious agents, and possible toxins can cause foreign antibodies to enter your immune system. Many of these are agents that can be cured, but others, such as HIV, are not.
- Sometimes patients have adverse drug reactions that could lead to aggressive behavior and physical attacks on medical workers. There are a number of injuries that can occur depending on the circumstances.
- Being in constant motion places hospital staff at constant risk of slipping and falling on smooth floors. Quick movements tending from one patient to another can lead to slip and fall accidents.
How New York City Hospital Workers Get Injured
Although there are multiple ways hospital workers can get hurt, the leading cause of injury is moving patients . Unfortunately, there is no easy way to move another person. Injuries can occur whether you are pushing a patient in a wheelchair, helping them get in or out of bed, or positioning them on a stretcher. No matter how careful you think you are, all these tasks can be quite dangerous.
The main reason that repositioning or moving patients can be a problem is that other industries have lifting techniques that describe how to properly move various large and heavy objects. Unfortunately, none of these methods directly apply to people on the move. Hospital workers are at a disadvantage because they do not have an ergonomically correct way to move their patients. Unsurprisingly, this often leads to injury.
Are injuries in the hospital as a workplace preventable?
Anyone who has had a hospital job knows how many different ways you can be injured. Unfortunately, there is no way to know what might happen on any given day. This makes it even more important to pay attention to your surroundings and do everything in your power to prevent these injuries.
A large portion of accidents that occur within a hospital are caused by negligence in one way or another. In those cases, there are precautions that could have been taken to prevent the accident from happening.
Although there are no guaranteed ways to ensure that you will never be involved in an accident at your workplace, there are things that can be done to reduce the risk of serious injury:
- Follow safe patient handling guidelines.
- If you need assistance moving a patient, please wait for help.
- Be sure to follow the instructions for all equipment.
- Follow protocols for disposing of hazardous items, such as syringes or contaminants.
While these measures can greatly reduce the number of accidents that can occur, there is no way that they can be completely eliminated. If you or a loved one was unfortunate enough to be injured on the job, filing a workers’ compensation claim may help you receive financial help for your losses.
What should I do if I was injured while working at a hospital?
Whether you were injured on the job due to your own actions or those of the hospital, filing for workers’ compensation can give you the best chance of recovering your lost wages and medical expenses.
There may also be circumstances where an agent other than your employer, such as a contractor, caused your accident. In those cases, a lawsuit may also be brought against the negligent parties to seek additional compensation for your pain and suffering, in addition to other financial losses.
Immediately after being injured on the job, it is important to report the accident to your boss. Most likely, they will ask you to fill out a form or a report of your accident. Although no one likes to fill out paperwork, this can actually settle the accident as a documented incident and make it more difficult to dispute a New York City work injury claim. Don’t skip this step! Failing to report your accident can hurt your claim. You should also see a doctor as soon as possible to formally document your injuries.
Why Shulman & Hill?
If you have been injured on the job, which is a place where you should feel safe, you want to make sure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation to which you may be entitled. A hospital work injury attorney at Shulman & Hill can investigate the case and build a strong case on your behalf. Our team will fight to make sure you are not left with crippling medical expenses that could come back to haunt you in the future.
Contact Shulman & Hill today for a free legal consultation .
TRABAJAMOS CON USTED PARA QUE LO COMPENSENEvaluación De Caso Gratuita
Estar involucrado en un caso de lesiones es suficientemente estresante para tener que preocuparse también por honorarios de abogados. Por eso, no cobramos ninguno. Usted nos paga solamente si resolvemos su caso o ganamos un veredicto. Si no ganamos, nuestros servicios son gratuitos.
Más áreas de práctica
Más de 200 millones de dólares ganados