Construction Accident Lawyer in New York City
Despite safety measures on New York City construction sites, construction accidents can cause severe and life-altering injuries, leaving victims and their families struggling to cope with the aftermath. If you or a loved one were injured in a construction accident, it’s essential to know your legal options and seek professional support to fight for the compensation you deserve. Our top-rated New York City construction accident lawyers at Shulman & Hill can help.
Construction sites are notoriously dangerous, with accidents and injuries occurring frequently due to the inherent risks of the job. Even when safety measures are in place and complied with, accidents happen.
Construction accidents can cause severe and life-altering injuries, leaving victims and their families struggling to cope with the fallout. If you or a loved one have sustained an injury in a construction accident, our experienced New York City construction accident lawyers can help you determine your legal options and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Trust the Experienced Construction Accident Lawyers at Shulman & Hill
The aftermath of a construction accident can be overwhelming, especially when you’re dealing with a traumatic injury. That is where our experienced lawyers at Shulman & Hill can help. We’re proud to be a law firm that prioritizes our clients, focusing on providing exceptional service while you focus on recovering.
Our multilingual staff members and dedicated NYC personal injury attorneys have helped numerous residents fight for compensation after construction accidents. Our team has decades of combined experience helping members of our community navigate their cases and can help you do the same.
Our talented lawyers have received numerous awards for their efforts. For example, founding partner Alex Shulman has been recognized as a New York Super Lawyers since 2017, an honor only five percent of attorneys in each state receive. Additionally, he has been recognized as a Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers, a highly selective association of leading trial lawyers in the country.
If you’ve been injured in a construction accident, our knowledgeable New York construction accident lawyers can help.
Types of Construction Accident Cases We Handle
In New York City, over 550 construction-related injuries and 11 fatalities happened in 2022. At Shulman & Hill, we handle all types of construction accident cases, including:
What Are the Main Causes of Construction Accidents in NYC?
Construction accidents in New York City can arise from various causes, including:
- Tripping hazards, such as debris on the ground
- Machinery malfunctions
- Defective machinery or equipment
- Lack of fall protection
- Lack of protection against falling debris
- Safety standard violations
- Lack of protection in trenches
- Lack of training using tools and equipment
Shulman & Hill obtained a $2,500,000 settlement for a non-union laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $2,000,000 settlement for an immigrant laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,175,000 settlement for a 29-year-old construction worker
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,500,000 settlement for an undocumented day laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,500,000 settlement for a bus driver
Common Injuries in New York Construction Accidents
While learning to recognize unsafe working conditions can help prevent injuries, accidents still happen. New York construction accidents can cause various injuries ranging from mild to severe, including:
- Sprains and strains
- Broken and fractured bones
- Eye injuries
- Hearing loss
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, including full or partial paralysis
- Head and neck injuries
- Crush injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Conditions caused by chemical exposure
Understanding Workers’ Compensation Claims vs. Personal Injury Claims
Because all New York employers must carry workers’ compensation insurance, injured employees can normally pursue benefits through this avenue. Injured employees may seek compensation for things like medical care, lost wages, and disability.
However, workers’ compensation may not be enough to cover accident-related expenses, depending on the circumstances of your injury. A personal injury lawsuit against other parties (e.g., manufacturers and third-party contractors) may help cover the difference.
Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system in New York, meaning employees can receive compensation for work-related injuries no matter who caused the accident. But in a personal injury lawsuit, there must be an at-fault party. A lawsuit may allow you to hold responsible parties accountable for their actions and pursue compensation beyond what may be available through
Available Damages in New York City Construction Accident Cases
Workers’ compensation is the most common route to recover compensation after a workplace accident. If you’re eligible for workers’ compensation, available benefits may include:
- Medical – These benefits cover healthcare expenses associated with your accident, including medical, dental, and surgical care.
- Lost wages – If you’re totally or partially disabled or can’t work for more than seven days, you are entitled to a portion of your lost wages.
- Survivor – If a worker dies due to their injuries, their surviving spouse, minor children, and other dependents are entitled to weekly cash benefits totaling two-thirds of the deceased worker’s average wage.
Victims injured in New York City construction accidents may also be able to pursue economic and non-economic damages through a lawsuit. Economic damages apply to financial losses in your case, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and loss of future earning capacity. In contrast, non-economic damages apply to non-monetary aspects of your accident, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.
How Much Is My Case Worth?
The value of your case hinges on factors specific to your accident and resulting injuries, including the severity of your injuries, the likelihood of making a full recovery, and the amount of wages you lose due to the accident.
Since these factors vary from case to case, the total value can vary drastically. A skilled New York City construction accident attorney can help you determine the value of your case based on the circumstances of your accident.
How Shulman & Hill Can Help With Your Case
Having help from an experienced New York City construction accident attorney is essential after an on-the-job accident, as these cases can be complex. Varying state laws governing workers’ compensation and personal injuries can make it difficult to determine the correct next steps to take.
This is where our knowledgeable team at Shulman & Hill comes in. While you focus on healing, we’ll guide you through each step. Our services include:
- Free consultation – During your initial consultation, you’ll tell us about your accident and provide any information you have gathered. We’ll help you determine your legal options and whether you have a case.
- Investigation – Next, we’ll thoroughly investigate your case to uncover crucial evidence, such as security camera footage, witness statements, and accident reports.
- Documentation and paperwork filing – We’ll file your workers’ compensation and lawsuit paperwork for you, ensuring that all relevant deadlines are met.
- Identification of liable parties – If you file a personal injury lawsuit, your attorney can help you establish fault.
- Calculating your compensation – We’ll then connect the dots, demonstrating the full extent of your damages. Regardless of which kind of claim you file, we will make sure you leave no money on the table.
- Settlement negotiation – If you sue, we will negotiate aggressively with the at-fault party for a settlement that compensates you fully and fairly.
- Legal representation in workers’ compensation hearings and court– No matter which route toward compensation makes the most sense in your case, you can count on us to deliver the high-quality, individualized representation you deserve.
Who Is Liable in a New York City Construction Accident?
For personal injury cases, liability in a New York City construction accident can fall on numerous parties. Determining who is liable requires careful evaluation of all pertinent evidence. Among others, parties that can be liable for construction accidents include:
- Property owners
- General contractor
- Equipment manufacturers
- Safety inspectors and consultants
What To Do if You’ve Been Injured on a Construction Site
If you suffer an injury on a New York City construction site, follow these steps:
- Get medical help – Seeking medical attention is the first thing to do after your accident, even if you think your injuries are minor. Sometimes, the injury or its symptoms aren’t apparent immediately after the accident and take hours or days to appear. Getting prompt medical assistance may help identify these injuries sooner.
- Report the accident – After getting medical care, report the accident to your employer. Under New York workers’ compensation laws, you must report the accident within 30 days, or you may lose your ability to pursue benefits through workers’ compensation.
- File a workers’ compensation claim – Complete New York’s workers’ compensation claim form. You’ll need to gather important information, including your gross wages, the name and address of your employer, and details about the injury.
- Talk to an attorney – Contact a skilled NYC construction accident lawyer as soon as possible. Your lawyer can help you take the necessary steps in pursuing compensation through a workers’ compensation claim or a personal injury lawsuit.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for New York Construction Accidents?
New York law outlines the various deadlines employees must meet when pursuing compensation. If you’re seeking benefits through a workers’ compensation claim, you must notify your employer within 30 days of the accident. Failure to do so may result in forfeiting your right to workers’ compensation benefits.
By contrast, you normally have three years from the accident date to file a personal injury claim. Subject to very few exceptions, failure to file your claim within this time limit may prevent you from pursuing compensation from the at-fault party.
Shulman & Hill Can Help You Get the Compensation You Deserve
Navigating the aftermath of a construction accident can be overwhelming, especially if you’re dealing with a severe injury or the death of a loved one. Our skilled New York City construction accident lawyers at Shulman & Hill understand the intricacies of these cases and can help you navigate yours. Contact us at (212) 221-1000 or complete our online contact form to start with a free case evaluation.