New York City Wrongful Death Lawyer
When a loved one dies due to someone else’s carelessness or negligence, New York law allows you to sue for losses, such as medical expenses, funeral costs, and loss of future support. A New York City wrongful death attorney from Shulman & Hill will fight to help you hold the at-fault party accountable through a wrongful death lawsuit.
Losing someone you love is never easy. The death of a loved one may be even more devastating when due to the actions of someone who had a responsibility to act in a way that wouldn’t cause harm. Corporations, doctors, property owners, and others, such as negligent drivers, can be held liable when someone else’s death is their fault.
At Shulman & Hill, we fight daily for injured New Yorkers when they need us most. If your loved one died as a result of another party’s actions, partner with us to seek compensation. We will fight tirelessly to prove negligence and serve as your champion in settlement negotiations and court.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
We have extensive experience helping people hurt due to the negligence of others. We put our clients first, answering questions they have and supporting them from their initial case review through the end of their case.
The American Academy of Attorneys, the American Institute of Legal Counsel, and Attorney and Practice Magazines have recognized our award-winning attorneys. Partner Alex Shulman has been selected to the New York Super Lawyers list since 2007, an honor reserved for only five percent of attorneys in each state. He is also on The National Trial Lawyers Association’s Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyers list, based on a highly selective and rigorous vetting process of lawyers nationwide.
At Shulman & Hill, we always strive to provide exceptional service and understand that our clients need results. We’ve helped our clients secure over $400 million in verdicts and settlements to help ease their burdens, including $2.5 million for a worker injured on a construction site and $1.6 million for a bus driver who injured both knees and her shoulder after slipping on ice in a parking lot.
We treat our clients like family, and every case is personal to us. We thrive on taking on the most challenging, complex cases, representing the people of New York who need us the most. We have offices throughout the city, including our Manhattan headquarters. Partner with a New York City wrongful death attorney at Shulman & Hill so we can help you pursue the compensation and justice you deserve.
What You Can Expect From Our Wrongful Death Attorneys in New York City
You must prove your case by a preponderance of the evidence to be successful in a wrongful death claim in New York. Our wrongful death attorney in New York City can help you by:
- Investigating the circumstances of your loved one’s death – This could include accident reconstruction, expert testimony, gathering records from a health care facility you believe neglected your loved one, or the collection of any other evidence that shows the defendant caused the harm that led to death.
- Determining liability – We will also determine the correct party to sue. In some cases, may identify more than one defendant.
- Calculating damages – Our attorneys will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your case to determine the full and fair compensation you may be entitled to.
- Filing your initial claim or lawsuit – Your wrongful death case may start with a claim filed with the defendant’s insurer, who may or may not make you a fair settlement offer. We will negotiate vigorously on your behalf, but it is ultimately up to you whether to accept an offer. If a fair settlement cannot be achieved, we will fight vigorously on your behalf in court.
Coping with the loss of a loved one is painful. The attorneys at Shulman & Hill will guide you through the legal system with sensitivity and compassion. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
What Is Wrongful Death in New York?
New York law defines a wrongful death as occurring through a wrongful act, neglect, or default by the defendant. The law covers incidents in which the decedent could have sued under personal injury law had they survived.
To succeed in a wrongful death claim, your attorney must normally show that the defendant owed a duty of care to your loved one, breached that duty, and that the breach caused death and damages. The accomplished New York City personal injury attorneys at Shulman & Hill have extensive experience collecting evidence and proving the negligence of corporations, doctors, drivers, property owners, and other parties.
Shulman & Hill obtained a $2,500,000 settlement for a non-union laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $2,000,000 settlement for an immigrant laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,600,000 settlement for a 53-year-old union bus driver
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,500,000 settlement for an undocumented day laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,500,000 settlement for a bus driver
Common Causes of Wrongful Death in New York City
There are many scenarios in which someone’s negligence could lead to death. Some common causes of wrongful deaths in New York City include:
- Car accidents, such as those caused by drivers in New York City turning right on red without a sign expressly permitting them to do so. In other parts of the state, drivers can turn on red unless a sign forbids it.
- Workplace accidents, such as those caused by failure to follow New York workplace safety laws.
- Dangerous properties, such as when owners fail to clean sidewalks and other snow and ice areas promptly.
- Medical malpractice, including when doctors, nurses, and others in medical settings fail to treat people adequately based on their insurance or other status.
- Nursing home negligence, such as that alleged by the New York Attorney General in 2023 in a patient neglect lawsuit.
- Animal attacks, such as when owners do not follow New York leash laws.
- Pedestrian accidents, including when drivers strike pedestrians while violating New York’s BAC limit of 0.08.
- Other auto accidents involving motorcycles, trucks, or other vehicles.
When your loved one dies due to someone else’s actions, partner with a Shulman & Hill wrongful death attorney in Manhattan. We will treat you with compassion and respect while fighting tirelessly on your behalf for just compensation.
Who Can Sue for Wrongful Death in New York?
In New York, only the personal representative of the decedent’s estate has legal authority to file a wrongful death lawsuit. The proceeds can then be distributed to surviving family members. The personal representative can be appointed in a will or, in the absence of a will, by a court.
Compensation Available to Surviving Family Members
Our compassionate legal team understands what you and your family are going through and we want to help. We also understand that no amount of money can make up for the loss of a loved one. That said, if someone else caused your loved one’s death, compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit can provide a measure of justice and accountability.
Our attorneys can help you secure compensation for things like:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Costs of pre-death medical care
- Loss of services
- Loss of inheritance
- Pain and suffering endured by your loved one prior to their death
Unfortunately, New York is one of just a few states that prohibits family members of wrongful death victims from recovering compensation for their own emotional suffering caused by the loss.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in New York?
There are some exceptions to the wrongful death statute of limitations in New York. However, it is best to consult with an attorney before relying on them just in case they do not apply to your case. Failure to file before the correct deadline nearly always results in your case being dismissed in court.
Let Shulman & Hill Fight To Get Your Family the Compensation You Deserve
Everyone deserves respect, compassion, and a fair shot at compensation following the death of a loved one due to someone else’s carelessness or negligence. When you partner with the New York City wrongful death attorney at Shulman & Hill, you can count on us to support you throughout the legal claims process, providing the high-quality legal representation you deserve.
If you need help with a wrongful death lawsuit, call us at (866) 311-5673 or complete our online form to schedule your free case evaluation. We are here to help.