Accident With a Drunk Driver
If you and your family have suffered due to an accident with a drunk driver, our lawyers in Staten Island want to help. We know that the last thing on your mind right now is jumping through legal hoops to get fair compensation, so we can do all of the work for you.
Call Shulman & Hill at 212.221.1000 for a free case review. We are eager to tell you about your right to personal injury compensation and how our Staten Island car accident attorneys can fight for what you deserve.
Potential Consequences of Drunk Driving Accidents
Anyone can fall victim to a drunk driver, whether you were driving your car, a motorcycle, or another type of vehicle, or you were on foot. Such accidents are completely preventable, and yet they can cost you:
The Ability to Work
You could lose out on much-needed income if:
- The accident caused you to miss work
- You could not perform your job duties because of your injuries and had to take time off
- You suffered permanent injuries that will affect your entire career from here on out
We can calculate how much income you have lost because of your accident with a drunk driver. Our lawyers in Staten Island can then ask the drunk driver to reimburse you for that amount so your family does not have to go without the things they are used to having.
Money Spent on Medical Care
Regardless of whether you can still work, you will still have to cover your bills and debts, including the cost of treating injuries the drunk driving accident caused.
If you have already received care for your injuries, try to remember to save any bills or receipts your providers sent you. These documents could more firmly establish:
- The amount you have had to spend because of the accident
- How serious your injuries are
- What kinds of injuries you sustained
- What kinds of treatments you may need in the future and that you deserve compensation for now
Your Physical and Emotional Well-Being
No amount of money can ever fully make up for the pain and suffering a drunk driving accident causes. Nevertheless, your previous level of health and happiness is yet another thing the drunk driver took away from you, and it is something they should pay for.
Unlike the loss of income or medical bills, physical and mental distress do not leave a paper trail. We can use other means to determine how much you should ask the drunk driver to pay.
The Life of a Loved One
Per the Institute for Traffic Safety Management & Research (ITSMR), hundreds of people in New York State die in alcohol-related traffic accidents every year. The victim’s loved ones lose out on the many benefits of the deceased’s presence, as well as any income the deceased contributed to the family.
If your loved one passed away from their accident injuries, you have the right to seek compensation for their conscious suffering and your own. Our wrongful death attorneys can help you do so.
What Our Lawyers Do After a Drunk Driving Accident in Staten Island
There are many ways our firm can assist you following an accident with a drunk driver. Our lawyers in Staten Island can start by conducting a careful investigation into your accident, which may include:
- Going to the scene of the accident to see it for ourselves
- Requesting documentation from anyone who might have pertinent information, such as your doctor or the police
- Finding out if there were any witnesses to the accident and, if so, taking their testimony
- Reviewing any video footage or photographs that recorded part or all of the collision
We could use this evidence to prove that you were injured in the accident—and that the accident would never have happened if the drunk driver had behaved more responsibly.
Once we can prove your need for damages, our next step may be to get in touch with the drunk driver and anyone representing them, such as their auto insurance company. Our team can then:
- Discuss your case with them over the phone, via email, or via videoconference
- Arrange a time to meet with them in person and negotiate for the money you need
- Show them the evidence we have collected that proves you deserve damages from the drunk driver
- Show them evidence that disputes any counterarguments, such as the idea that your injuries are not as bad as you claim, that they make against you
- Schedule a trial, if we feel that is the best way to seek compensation for you
- Present your case, including evidence and witnesses, to a judge and jury
Our goal is to recover enough compensation for you to pay your bills, support your family, and continue the hard work of moving forward after your accident.
Pursue Compensation Before Time Runs Out
Typically, you have three years from the accident date to file a lawsuit against a drunk driver, according to CPLR § 214. Exceptions exist, but as a general rule, a court will not accept a case filed after that deadline.
After your accident with a drunk driver, our lawyers in Staten Island want to help you recover everything your family deserves—but we can only do so if you come to us in time.
What to Say After a Drunk Driving Accident
From the moment the accident is over, you may encounter numerous people who want to discuss the event with you. Not all of them have your best interests at heart. Here is how to respond to the various parties who may try to discuss your accident with you:
You may either call the police yourself, or someone else from the accident scene might call them before you get a chance to do so. Either way, the officer will expect you to answer questions about:
- What you saw before and during the crash
- Your own actions
- The other driver’s actions
- Your name and contact information
Cooperating with the police is important, but not at the expense of your rights. Keep your responses short and honest. Do not exaggerate or guess what happened or the extent of your injuries. If the police get in touch with you later seeking additional information, talk to us before you talk to them.
Your doctor needs to know as much as they can about your injuries so they can come up with the best possible treatment regimen. Be sure to:
- Answer all of their questions about how your injuries happened and how they feel
- Tell your doctor about every injury you sustained, even those that do not seem serious to you
- Follow your doctor’s instructions to the letter
- Keep your doctor informed about how you feel throughout the entire treatment process
The Insurance Company
Both your insurer and the drunk driver’s will want to speak with you about what happened. Talking to them without consulting an attorney first can be dangerous because:
- Insurers generally do not want to pay claims and will do what they can to minimize what they pay to accident victims.
- They might tell you that you do not need a lawyer, giving them the upper hand in all of your interactions.
- They may counter your claims against their client by blaming the accident or your injuries on you.
- Any settlements they offer may sound good at first, but they often turn out to be too small to cover all of your losses.
We recommend that you avoid speaking to insurance representatives on your own. When they contact you, direct them to us and say that you want to conduct all business through your personal injury lawyer from now on.
Our team can handle all communications with the insurance companies for you. If the insurer wants to interview you about the accident, we can prepare you for their questions so you can answer honestly without jeopardizing your case.
Shulman & Hill is on your side. Once a client hires us, we need to know as much as possible about their collision.
Do not be afraid to be completely truthful with us, even if you think the truth makes you look bad. The more we know about what really happened, the easier it may be for us to:
- Build a strong case proving that you deserve damages from the drunk driver
- Anticipate and protect you against accusations made by the drunk driver’s team
- Determine the best method (e.g., settlement negotiations versus a trial) to seek the compensation you deserve
Call Us After a Drunk Driving Accident in Staten Island
At Shulman & Hill, we take every case personally. You are not just a client to us: you are a person who deserves help after a horrific experience. After your accident with a drunk driver, our lawyers in Staten Island can champion your rights.
Call 212.221.1000 to find out more in a free consultation.
WE WORK WITH YOU
TO GET YOU COMPENSATED
Everyday working people often struggle to afford top-tier legal representation. To ensure equal access to justice, we work on a contingency-fee basis. You pay no attorneys’ fees unless we achieve a settlement or verdict in your case.
More practice areas
Over 300 million dollars won
Our History of Success