Long Island Car Accident Lawyer
It is always important to exercise caution when driving. This is particularly true in a high-traffic area such as Long Island. Unfortunately, practicing safe driving habits does not guarantee that you will never be injured in a car accident.
If you have been injured in a car accident on Long Island and another driver was at fault, you may be entitled to financial compensation. At Shulman & Hill, our Long Island car accident lawyers can offer the aggressive legal representation you deserve.
Schedule a free legal consultation today by calling (866) 880-0645 to learn more about your legal options. Auto accidents can lead to severe injuries and accident victims like you deserve a legal team that will fight for your financial recovery.
How Much Is My Long Island Car Accident Case Worth?
The list goes on and on, vehicle repair costs, medical bills, property damage, and lost wages from missed work. Being involved in a severe car accident can lead to substantial financial stress. If you are like many people who have been injured in a car accident, you may wonder how much compensation you can recover. The answer to this question depends on several factors, including the circumstances of the accident, the severity of your injuries, and the effect your injuries have had on your life and ability to work.
Compensation for Past and Future Medical Bills
If you were injured in a car accident, you might already be feeling the financial burden of medical bills. Our Long Island car accident lawyers can help you pursue reimbursement for the medical expenses you incurred because of the car accident.
You may be entitled to compensation for past medical expenses caused by your car accident injuries as well as future medical costs, such as rehabilitative care or follow-up doctor’s appointments.
Compensation may be available for costs related to the following:
- Ambulance transportation
- ER and hospital care
- Medical testing
- Medical procedures
- Doctor’s appointments
- Medical devices and equipment
- Physical therapy
- Mental health care
- Other medical needs resulting from the accident
Reimbursement for Lost Income Caused By Missed Work
Did you have to miss work because of the accident? If so, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost income.
In addition to the wages you have already missed out on due to your medical care and recovery, you could be entitled to compensation for future lost income. For example, if you have to miss work to attend physical therapy appointments, you may be entitled to compensation for this and other financial losses.
Pain and Suffering Damages
Of course, the consequences of a car accident are not only financial. Your injuries may have caused many painful days and sleepless nights. A Long Island car accident attorney from our law firm can fight for financial compensation for your pain and suffering.
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,600,000 settlement for a 53-year-old union bus driver
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,500,000 settlement for a bus driver
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,100,000 settlement for a 51-year-old Uber driver
Shulman & Hill recently obtained a $1,000,000 insurance policy tender for a client
Workers’ Compensation Benefits
If you were injured in an accident that occurred while working, you may also qualify for workers’ compensation benefits. Our experienced car accident lawyers are equipped to handle both personal injury claims and workers’ compensation claims. We can help you file a workers’ compensation claim and pursue workers’ compensation benefits if appropriate.
Wrongful Death Caused by a Long Island Car Accident
If you have lost a loved one in a car accident, we know the shock and grief you are probably feeling. Nothing can take away your pain, but filing a legal claim may provide a sense of justice as well as financial relief.
Wrongful Death Damages
Per EPTL § 5-4.1, if your loved one’s death was caused by another party’s wrongful or careless act, like a drunk driver’s reckless driving, you can file a wrongful death claim to hold the at-fault party accountable and seek compensation for your losses. Our wrongful death attorneys can help you navigate this process and pursue financial compensation for you.
Monetary damages in a wrongful death claim can help alleviate some of the financial burden created by the sudden passing of a loved one. Some of the most common types of damages in Long Island wrongful death cases include:
- Your loved one’s conscious pain and suffering
- Loss of your loved one’s financial support
- Expenses related to your loved one’s funeral and burial
- Medical bills from care your loved one received between the fatal car accident and their death
- Loss of parental guidance suffered by children of the deceased
- Loss of your loved one’s services, such as taking care of children or maintaining the home
Our experienced team of attorneys understands the legal process of holding responsible parties accountable. We will work hard to secure you a fair settlement after a fatal motor vehicle accident so you can find closure.
Who Can Bring a Wrongful Death Claim in New York
In New York, the following individuals may be able to become the personal representative to bring a wrongful death lawsuit:
- The representative designated by the surrogate court
- The deceased person’s child
- The deceased person’s parent
- The deceased person’s spouse
Each of these individuals, if chosen, would become the representative of the estate.
During your initial consultation, the auto accident attorneys from Shulman & Hill will help you understand the recoverable damages you can seek from the at-fault driver.
Benefits of Working With a Long Island Car Accident Lawyer From Shulman & Hill
Choosing an attorney to represent you during your car accident claim or lawsuit can be overwhelming. Read below to learn about some of the benefits of choosing Shulman & Hill.
Our personal injury lawyers have a long track record of success in car crash injury cases. Past case results do not guarantee a favorable outcome in your case, but our past results demonstrate just how hard we fight for our clients.
Shulman & Hill’s numerous verdicts and settlements include:
- A $290,000 settlement for a 46-year-old male who suffered multiple injuries in a car accident
- A $325,000 settlement for a New York City employee who was injured after a truck side-swiped her vehicle
- A $1,350,000 for a client who was injured in a head-on collision
Every case is personal to us. Our lawyers have seen enough car accident cases to know how impactful a serious car accident can be in a person’s life and the lives of their family members. We treat each client with the focus, attention, and compassion they deserve.
Our testimonials page displays some of the positive feedback we have received from previous clients.
“I’m very happy with the work that was done by this law firm. The best attorneys and paralegals in NYC. If you ever get hurt, contact Shulman & Hill, they will be more than happy to help you.” – Shukhrat E.
“The office of Shulman & Hill exceeded my expectations. They have been there since day one and went above and beyond to ensure I was getting everything 100%. Very satisfied with their work and highly recommend their outstanding service.” – Lasha L
“The best law firm in NYC! They explain everything to you, and they are very generous and helpful. The lawyers are excellent and very respectful, as also is the receptionist. I highly recommend the Shulman & Hill law firm.” – Davis C
Our personal injury lawyers provide legal representation on a contingency fee basis. You do not have to pay upfront fees or out-of-pocket expenses for our services. Payment is due if and when we successfully recover compensation for you.
Long Island Car Accidents: Essential Information
Long Island is among the most densely-populated areas of New York State. This contributes to a relatively high rate of car accidents.
According to the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH), between the years 2012 and 2014, an average of 111 people in Nassau County were hospitalized every month due to car accident-related injuries. The NYSDOH states that in Suffolk County, car accidents sent an average of 122 people to the hospital every month.
Potential Liable Parties in a Car Accident Case
In many car accidents, the liable party is another driver. However, it is also possible that other parties caused or contributed to your accident. For example, if one of the vehicles had defective tires, brakes, or other defective components, The company that designed or manufactured the defective vehicle component could be liable for damages.
If the driver who hit you was working at the time of the accident, his or her employer may be on the hook for damages. If you were struck by a commercial truck such as a semi-truck, the trucking company may ultimately be responsible for compensating you for the accident.
Common Causes of Long Island Car Accidents
There are many different reasons cars collide. Some of the more common causes of car accidents on Long Island include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while tired, which can be as dangerous as drunk driving
- Hazardous road conditions
- Vehicle defects
- Failure to check blind spots
- Failure to signal turns
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
Those are merely a few examples. Regardless of the cause of your car accident, if you are injured in one, you can optimize your chances of securing fair compensation by enlisting the help of our Long Island car accident attorneys.
The Consequences of a Long Island Car Accident
Long Island car accidents can cause numerous injuries, such as:
- Fractured and broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injuries, which may result in paralysis
- Loss of limbs
- Neck or back injuries
- Internal injuries
The Role of a Long Island Car Accident Law Firm
A Long Island car crash attorney from our law firm can assist you throughout your accident claim in both Nassau County and Suffolk County. For example, our lawyers can:
- Explain all your rights and options: We know that most people are unfamiliar with the process of filing a claim for compensation after a crash. You do not have to worry about figuring everything out on your own. Let us address your concerns, answer your questions, and ensure you understand your rights and legal options.
- Conduct an investigation to gather evidence: This may include reviewing camera footage, accessing police reports, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical reports, and assessing damaged vehicles to build a strong claim. We will work to gather and preserve evidence that shows the other driver’s carelessness or wrongdoing. We will also look for other parties that could be liable for the crash, such as vehicle parts manufacturers or the driver’s employer.
- Correspond with all relevant parties: Our law firm will communicate with insurance adjusters, doctors, and other parties involved in the dispute, so you do not have to. We believe you should be focused on healing instead of dealing with frustrating insurance adjusters.
- Provide advice you can trust: Our team has handled many complex car accident cases and recovered millions of dollars for clients. We have the knowledge and experience needed to advise you throughout your case and help you make informed decisions.
- Stand up for your rights: The insurance company will likely try to minimize the compensation you receive. They may say that your accident was not as severe as you claim or that you do not deserve the amount of compensation we are demanding on your behalf. Our car accident attorneys will fight for the maximum amount of compensation possible. We will not let the insurance company trick you into a low settlement.
- Keep you updated about your case: At Shulman & Hill, our goal is to ensure you receive the high-quality, personalized legal support you need during this difficult time in your life. We will keep you updated throughout your case and answer any questions you have.
In the aftermath of a car accident, you need to focus on your health. Our Long Island car accident lawyers will handle every aspect of your case so that you can focus on your recovery.
Statute of Limitations in Long Island Car Accident Cases
According to CPLR § 214, there is typically a three-year statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits in New York. Certain factors can change the time limit for filing an injury lawsuit, but it is always best to get started on a car accident case right away. The sooner our attorneys can begin an investigation and start building a case, the better your chances of recovering maximum compensation.
Contact Shulman & Hill for a Free Case Consultation Regarding Your Long Island Car Crash
The Long Island personal injury attorneys at Shulman & Hill have the experience and knowledge to help you navigate the complexities of seeking compensation for your car accident injuries. Our Long Island law firm has helped numerous injured New Yorkers receive the compensation they needed to cover their losses and move on with their lives after an accident.
For more information about how we may be able to help you, call us at (866) 880-0645 or contact us online to schedule your free legal consultation. Remember, you will only pay for our services if and when we recover compensation for you.