Queens Brain Injury Lawyer
Brain injuries can range from minor to fatal. From a birth injury that permanently affects your child’s health to a workplace accident that leaves you unable to support your family, brain injuries can devastate your life.
If your injury was caused by another party’s negligent or reckless behavior, one of our brain injury lawyers in Queens, NY, can pursue compensation on your behalf. To learn more, call Shulman & Hill at 917.793.0642 for a free case assessment.
Do I Have a Brain Injury Case?
As a general rule, you have three years to begin a personal injury case, according to CPLR § 214. However, exceptions do apply, so we encourage you to contact us to find out for sure which deadline applies to your case.
Starting a legal action within the applicable deadline is only one part of making sure you have a valid case. You must also determine:
Who Is Responsible for Your Injury
To secure compensation from another party, you must be able to identify at least one person or organization whose negligence contributed to your injury. This could be a:
- Medical professional (if the injury is the result of medical malpractice)
- Negligent driver (if you were injured in a motor vehicle accident)
- Manufacturer (if a faulty product or piece of equipment caused the injury)
If the At-Fault Party Owed You a Duty of Care
A duty of care is the responsibility that certain people have to behave reasonably to minimize the threat of harm to others. Using our prior examples:
- Doctors owe their patients competent, professional care
- Drivers owe it to others on the road to pay attention, drive safely, and follow driving laws to avoid accidents
- Manufacturers owe their customers safe products and must act quickly if they learn a product is unsafe
How to Prove Your Injuries
Both the court and all involved insurance companies will want to see convincing proof that you sustained a brain injury, and that it was the liable party’s fault, including:
- Photos or video of the accident or of the site where the accident occurred (e.g., personal photos, traffic cam footage)
- Your medical records, including an official brain injury diagnosis
- Statements from you, the at-fault party, and witnesses
- Documentation relating to lost money (e.g., paystubs, bills, receipts)
- Any official texts, letters, or emails that pertain to the case
Can a Brain Injury Lawyer Help Me?
Finding a personal injury lawyer that is best for you could be important to securing compensation and justice after a preventable injury. If you live in Queens, NY, a brain injury lawyer from Shulman & Hill can fight for justice on your behalf. This includes:
Learning More About Your Case
Our team can collect evidence to demonstrate your case’s validity. Through this evidence, we could determine:
- Who the liable party is
- If there is more than one liable party
- How much money the liable party or parties may owe you
- Your options for compensation
A strong case file is essential for any successful case. Our personal injury lawyers in Queens can build your case file so it contains evidence showing the liable party should cover your damages.
If your brain injury is the result of a work accident, our workers’ compensation lawyers can even help you apply for workers’ compensation benefits in addition to filing a personal injury case. These options are not mutually exclusive: you could get compensation from both your employer’s insurer and the liable party’s insurer.
Confronting the Insurance Companies
Both personal injury settlements and workers’ compensation benefits are paid out by an insurance company. These insurers:
- May assign an insurance adjuster to investigate your case
- Have lawyers on staff whose sole job it is to protect the insurer’s interests
- May try to blame you for the injury so they do not have to pay you as much
- May offer a fast settlement that does not meet your needs
- May ask for a recorded statement that they can then use against you
Rather than speak to them alone and risk your financial future, a lawyer can handle all interactions with the insurers. Whether over the phone, via email, or in person, our team can:
- Send a demand letter that details the liable party’s actions and the amount of money you want from them
- Negotiate for a fair settlement based on your present and projected needs
- Present evidence to show you qualify for a settlement or workers’ comp benefits
If an insurance adjuster ever tries to contact you directly, you do not have to speak with them. Tell them that you would like them to talk to us from now on, give them our contact information, and alert us to their attempted communication.
Going to Trial
Many cases do not get to trial. Trials can be lengthy and expensive, and many insurance companies would rather avoid the hassle and pay a pretrial settlement.
That said, Shulman & Hill is willing to handle all types of cases, even the more complicated ones that end up in court. We can guide you through a courtroom trial by:
- Scheduling the dates and times the trial will occur
- Appearing in court on your behalf
- Questioning our witnesses and cross-examining the defense’s witnesses
- Presenting both oral arguments and documentary evidence to the judge
How Much Could My Brain Injury Be Worth?
Another part of our job is helping clients calculate how much money to seek from the liable party. This could include:
- Medical bills: such as emergency treatment, medication, surgery, or home nursing
- Property damage: if your brain injury was the result of a car accident that also destroyed or damaged your vehicle
- Loss of income: any income or benefits you have already lost because of the injury or any necessary treatments
- Loss of future income: the money you would have earned throughout your career but can no longer earn due to the injury
- Pain and suffering: the distress caused by the injury and/or by the accident that caused the injury
- Loss of consortium: the negative impact the injury has had on your relationship with your spouse
At Shulman & Hill, we take every case personally. We will treat you with care and respect, as you have already been through enough pain and trauma.
Why Hire Our Brain Injury Lawyer?
A brain injury can affect the way you think, feel, react, and process information. You need time to recover from such an injury and figure out your “new normal.” Trying to manage something as important as a brain injury case on your own could put your case in jeopardy if you:
- Fail to find or present crucial evidence
- Express yourself poorly to the insurance company
- Miss a deadline
- Disobey a courtroom rule, even by accident
Our team is very familiar with the legal process. We could accomplish all legal work for you, relieving you of the burden of trying to learn the law while recovering from a brain injury.
What Are Brain Injury Symptoms?
Brain injuries can occur in many different ways and affect different parts of the brain. The symptoms you experience may be determined by:
- What area of the brain was injured
- Your age
- How serious the injury is
Per the Mayo Clinic, symptoms of a “moderate to severe” traumatic brain injury may include:
- Loss of consciousness, including a coma
- Sleeping problems
- Coordination problems
- Speech problems
- Frequent headaches, or a headache that does not go away
- Frequent vomiting
Even if you don’t experience these symptoms, or feel your symptoms are minor, it’s always best to seek medical attention after a blow to the head. Even “mild” or symptomless brain injuries can have serious consequences.
Can Brain Injuries Be Fatal?
Yes. If a brain injury is very severe or is not treated promptly, it could be fatal.
If you have lost a loved one to a preventable brain injury, Shulman & Hill is sincerely sorry for your loss. You may be able to seek compensation through workers’ compensation benefits and/or a wrongful death lawsuit.
Our team can help you through the legal process, making it easier for you to seek justice on your loved one’s behalf.
Get a Free Consultation with one of our Brain Injury Lawyers in Queens
Shulman & Hill has won over $250 million for our clients in Queens and throughout New York. To start the process of your brain injury case, call 917.793.0642 today.
After you hire us, a brain injury lawyer from our firm can work hard on your behalf, fighting for your compensation.
WE WORK WITH YOU
TO GET YOU COMPENSATED
Everyday working people often struggle to afford top-tier legal representation. To ensure equal access to justice, we work on a contingency-fee basis. You pay no attorneys’ fees unless we achieve a settlement or verdict in your case.
More practice areas
Over 300 million dollars won
Our History of Success