You should consider hiring a lawyer after an accident before starting any legal action. This could mean researching and contacting law firms as soon as you receive medical care for your personal injuries.
That said, if some time has passed or if you have already taken legal action, it may still not be too late to consult an attorney.
Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer After an Accident
After an accident—whether you were injured in a car accident, a workplace accident, or any other type of event—you are likely feeling shocked, confused, and in pain. You may not feel up to filing a legal action on your own. This is normal.
Ask yourself the following questions. If you answer “yes” to one or more of them, then hiring a lawyer could be the right move for you:
- Do you have little or no experience with personal injury law?
- Are you anxious about speaking with the other involved parties, including the party who caused your accident?
- Are you unsure about what kinds of evidence you may need to prove your case and how to find that evidence?
- Are you worried that your proximity to the accident might make it hard for you to view your case objectively and make smart decisions?
A personal injury attorney can take care of all legal tasks required to complete a case, including filing paperwork, negotiating a settlement, collecting evidence, and speaking to other parties.
Getting Compensation With a Lawyer’s Help
By filing a lawsuit, you could potentially recover compensation for some or all of your:
- Past and future medical bills
- Past and future lost wages
- Past and future pain and suffering
What if you lost a loved one to an accident, and you cannot handle the challenges of completing a legal action? In that case, it is even more imperative to consult an attorney right away. They can protect your and your family’s rights by:
- Filing a wrongful death lawsuit within the general deadline
- Explaining the types of compensation you could qualify for after your loved one’s passing
- Managing all legal tasks, giving you time to grieve and rebuild your life after an unexpected death
Finding the Right Accident Lawyer
It is important to find the right lawyer for you. You will want to consider if they:
- Have handled cases like yours before
- Have a track record of success that makes you feel confident in their abilities
- Treat you with respect and are willing to answer all of your questions
Feel free to speak with several law firms before deciding which one to hire. It is common practice for injury lawyers to offer free consultations to anyone who calls them, which makes it even easier for you to weigh your options.
Before you contact a firm for the first time, it is a good idea to come up with a series of questions you want to ask them. Write these down, and bring something with you to the meeting to write down the representative’s responses. Finding the right firm for you is critical because:
- You need to be able to trust them to protect your rights and do whatever is in your best interest.
- You will likely be working with them for a long time, as accident lawsuits can take a while to complete.
- You want to feel comfortable going to them for advice and assistance.
What if I Wait to Hire a Lawyer?
Waiting too long could put your rights at risk because of:
- The many deadlines that generally restrict your time to file a personal injury lawsuit, such as the statute of limitations found in CPLR § 214
- Other parties’ interest in reducing the amount they have to pay you in compensation
- Your own inexperience with the law, which may cause you to make an innocent omission or error that jeopardizes your case
If you have already started a legal action without legal representation, do not feel as if your opportunity to hire a lawyer has come and gone. You can still contact the firm of your choice and see if they are willing to handle your case from here on out.
When consulting an attorney, be honest with them about what you have (or have not) done with your case thus far. They can provide invaluable assistance, but only if they understand what is going on with your case.
After an Accident, We Can Help
Shulman & Hill wants you to know that you should hire a lawyer as soon as you can—but we may still be able to help if you did not call immediately after an accident. Call (555) 555-5555 so a member of our team can assess your case at no charge today. Every case is personal to us.