Long Island City Bike Accident Lawyer
Bikes are a popular form of transportation to travel throughout Long Island City, especially with the rise of bicycle sharing programs.
With the increasing popularity of cycling, it is no surprise that accidents involving bicycle riders are rising rapidly as well. Bike accidents can result in serious and long-term physical injuries. In severe cases, a crash can be fatal.
If you or a loved one were struck by a motor vehicle while cycling, you should contact one of Shulman & Hill’s experienced bike accident lawyers. Our Long Island City bike accident lawyers can offer expert legal advice and be a powerful ally in your case.
Get started by scheduling a free legal consultation today to discuss the details of your accident and to find out if you may be eligible for compensation.
What Causes Long Island City Bike Accidents?
Despite the best efforts of law enforcement, legislators, and local officials, accidents are still increasing in number year after year. Between 2019 and 2020, New York City bike crashes involving motor vehicles jumped from 5,846 to 6,343.
Sometimes bike accidents are caused by negligence, or the careless acts or inaction of another party. In the case of a bike accident, the negligent party is often a motor vehicle driver. An example of negligence could be a driver’s failure to check a blind spot before changing lanes, or driving while using their hands to text on their phone.
Some of the most common causes of crashes involving motor vehicles and cyclists include:
- Distracted driving
- Aggressive driving
- Opening a door as a cyclist is passing, known as “dooring”
- Encroaching on the bike lane
- Intoxicated driving
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Common traffic infractions, such as failure to obey stop signs and traffic signals
- Illegal or unsafe turning
Common Bike Accident Injuries
When a cyclist is struck by a vehicle their resulting injuries can be devastating. Often the extent of a cyclist’s protection is a helmet at best. That is no match against the size and speed of a moving car or truck.
A cyclist’s injuries may fall under one of the following categories:
- Soft Tissue Injuries: A cyclist may receive scrapes, cuts, bruises, and abrasions that may be severe, particularly if their skin was exposed to the road. Soft tissue injuries can also include strains and sprains to the muscles, ligaments, and tendons that may result in long-term pain and complications.
- Broken Bones: Broken bones are one of the most common bike accident injuries, especially when a cyclist is thrown off of their bike. Broken fingers, arms, legs, ribs, and pelvic fractures are some of the most common types of breaks. Fractures can be very painful and require several months to completely heal.
- Spine Injuries: Damage to the spine can often leave the victim with lifelong chronic pain, reduction in movement, and even paralysis. The sudden and severe forces involved when a cyclist is struck by a car can lead to disc herniation and fractured vertebrae. In some scenarios, these injuries can lead to loss of motor and limb function.
- Brain Injuries: Even if a cyclist is wearing a helmet, being struck by a car while riding can result in catastrophic brain injuries. Concussions, contusions, hemorrhaging, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), and more can cause serious side effects which require extensive medical treatment. More severe injuries can even result in permanent side effects and/or reduced cognitive function. Recovery from a brain injury can take months or years if full recovery is even possible.
What Types of Compensation May I Be Entitled to After A Long Island City Bike Accident?
Being injured in a bike accident can turn your entire life upside down. Physical injuries can cause financial and non-financial losses as well. A successful Long Island City bike accident lawsuit may result in compensation for the following:
- Medical Expenses: This includes compensation to cover treatment already obtained for your bike accident injuries, as well as any potential future treatment. This is crucial for victims with serious or permanent injuries.
- Lost Wages: If your injuries prevent you from working temporarily or indefinitely, the decrease in your wages will likely affect your financial situation greatly. You may qualify for compensation to cover these lost wages, as well as any reduction in your wage-earning capacity.
- Pain & Suffering: In some circumstances, your injuries may prevent you from enjoying the activities you once did. While no amount of money can take away your pain, it is a loss that should be taken into account if another party’s negligence resulted in your injuries.
Why Hire Shulman & Hill?
Being injured in a bike accident can be an emotionally and physically draining experience. Working with an experienced personal injury law firm like Shulman & Hill can make all the difference in ensuring your pursuit of compensation is as seamless as possible.
Our Long Island City bike accident lawyers will help investigate the cause of your accident and gather supporting evidence to prepare a strong case on your behalf. They will handle the complex and often frustrating negotiations with insurance companies to ensure you have the best chance of receiving fair compensation for your losses and they can represent your interests in trial if an insurer refuses to cooperate. While we advocate on your behalf, you can concentrate on recovery.
Contact us today to schedule a free legal consultation to learn more about the ways in which our Long Island City bike accident lawyers can help you.
WE WORK WITH YOU
TO GET YOU COMPENSATED
Everyday working people often struggle to afford top-tier legal representation. To ensure equal access to justice, we work on a contingency-fee basis. You pay no attorneys’ fees unless we achieve a settlement or verdict in your case.
More practice areas
Over 400 million dollars won