Long Island Train Accident Lawyer
The Long Island Railroad (LIRR) plays a critical role in the daily lives of many Long Island residents. Unfortunately, train accidents can and do happen. If you are ever injured in a Long Island Railroad accident, you may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and related losses.
Our dedicated Long Island train accident attorneys at Shulman & Hill can help you pursue the compensation you may be entitled to. To get started, contact us today and schedule your free legal consultation. You will only pay for our services if and when we win your case.
Long Island Train Accidents: What You Need to Know
There have been multiple devastating Long Island Railroad train accidents in recent years. In 2016, a Long Island Railroad train derailed near New Hyde Park, injuring 33 people.
Long Island train accidents may include the following:
- Trains striking motorists and pedestrians at train crossings
- Trains striking individuals on the platform
- Trains leaving the platform before riders have fully departed or boarded
- Falls from platforms
- Accidents on board trains, such as slip and falls
Often, a Long Island train accident occurs because of some form of negligence. For example, a derailment may be more likely to happen if those responsible for maintaining a train or its tracks fail to adequately do so. If you suspect you were injured in a Long Island train accident that could have been avoided had another party not been negligent, meet with the experts at our Long Island personal injury law firm to discuss your case.
Long Island Train Safety Tips
You can take various steps to minimize your chances of being injured in a Long Island train accident. They include:
- Exercising caution when approaching train crossings
- Not walking or riding a bicycle near train tracks
- Not walking on train tracks (walking on train tracks is also illegal in New York State unless you are a railroad employee or are walking over train tracks to cross a street)
- Not standing too close to the tracks while waiting on a train platform
- Not rushing to enter or exit a train as the doors are closing
- Remaining in your seat as much as possible while on a moving train
However, even if you are careful, you can still be injured in a Long Island train accident caused by another party’s negligence. Our Long Island personal injury attorneys can help you pursue compensation if this ever happens.
Potential Causes of Long Island Train Accidents
There are numerous ways in which negligence may cause a train accident on Long Island. Examples include the following:
- A train’s operator is intoxicated or too tired to safely operate a train
- A train’s operator exceeds a safe speed
- A train and/or the train tracks have not been properly maintained
- A train’s designers or manufacturers overlooked a defect
- The MTA hires operators who are not qualified for their jobs
Determining the potentially liable parties responsible for compensating victims after a Long Island train accident will typically require conducting a thorough investigation. Our Long Island train accident lawyers are qualified to do so.
The Consequences of a Long Island Train Accident
Being injured in a Long Island train accident can have many consequences, such as:
- Sustaining injuries that require costly medical treatment
- Being unable to work and earn a paycheck due to the severity of your injuries
- Being unable to participate in activities you once found enjoyable
- No longer being able to support your family as you once did
- Facing lifelong difficulties that may impact your quality of life, such as paralysis
- Struggling with physical pain in the aftermath of your accident
Hopefully, you will never face such challenges. However, if you are injured and suffer one of the above losses after a Long Island train accident, you may be entitled to hold those responsible financially accountable.
Shulman & Hill obtained a $2,500,000 settlement for a non-union laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $2,000,000 settlement for an immigrant laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,600,000 settlement for a 53-year-old union bus driver
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,500,000 settlement for an undocumented day laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,500,000 settlement for a bus driver
How Our Long Island Train Accident Law Firm Can Help
It is highly advisable to seek representation from experienced Long Island train accident attorneys if you are ever injured in an accident. We can help you recover compensation in the following critical ways:
Investigating the accident is key to identifying the liable parties and proving that your accident occurred because they were negligent. Our investigators may perform such tasks as:
- Reviewing evidence you might have provided us with, such as pictures of the scene of the accident
- Reviewing any surveillance camera footage of the accident, if available
- Interviewing witnesses
- Reviewing information regarding the backgrounds of train operators and other MTA employees involved in the accident
- Reviewing maintenance logs
Be aware, you can only recover compensation from those responsible for providing it. This is why a thorough investigation plays such an important role in your case. Our team will work diligently to ensure any and all liable parties are properly identified.
Filing a lawsuit against a negligent party can be a tedious process that involves documenting your losses and presenting evidence to prove negligence. We can handle this task while you focus on your recovery.
If you do not have legal representation, an insurer may try to convince you to settle for an unreasonably low offer that does not fully cover the extent of your financial and non-financial losses.
This is among the top reasons to hire an attorney when seeking compensation. We understand how to effectively negotiate to secure a fair settlement on your behalf. Allowing us to handle all correspondence and negotiations with the insurance company will also give you more time to rest and recover.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
Many Long Island train accident lawyers claim they are qualified to represent you. At Shulman & Hill, we do not make vague promises. Our consistent track record of success demonstrates why we are the right legal team for your case.
To learn more about how we can help, call us today at (866) 880-0645 or contact us online to schedule your free legal consultation.