New York City Forklift Accident Lawyer
New York City is the most densely populated city in the United States and a central hub for distribution. Factories, stores, and warehouses often use forklifts to organize and move goods quickly and easily. Unfortunately, forklift accidents can happen when the operator is not properly trained on how to use the equipment. Issues can also arise when there are malfunctions with the equipment itself. In either case, the injuries suffered can be severe and even fatal.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a forklift accident, seeking legal assistance could help you pursue compensation for your losses. At Shulman & Hill, we are proud to help our clients with accident claims—including those involving a forklift accident. During a free legal consultation, we will listen to your story, investigate your case, and determine how we can help you pursue workers’ compensation.
Causes of New York City Forklift Accidents
There are many common causes of forklift accidents, including:
- Drivers who are not well trained. If the driver of a forklift does not know how to do their job, an accident is likely.
- Speeding. Sometimes a driver is rushed and will need to drive quickly to meet deadlines. Excessive speed reduces reaction time and can lead to a major accident.
- Operating with an elevated load. This impairs the driver’s vision and makes it harder for the equipment to be controlled.
- Insufficient space. If the workplace is not designed for a forklift, this can cause accidents and lead to injury.
- Loads that are unbalanced or not secure. If the load being carried is unbalanced, it can cause problems for the driver. The load must be secure and balanced so that it will not fall off or knock the lift out of balance.
- Mechanical failure. If a forklift is not working properly and the issues are not caught during inspections, it can cause an accident.
- Improper turning. A forklift can turn a little bit differently than other vehicles. If the driver is inexperienced and cannot maneuver well, the result can be an accident that injures someone.
- Giving rides or riding on a forklift. This may seem like a harmless thing to do, but joy riding on a forklift can often lead to serious injury.
Pursuing Compensation for a Forklift Accident Injury
If you are in a forklift accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses that are related to the accident. Each case is different, and the amount that you may receive for your injuries, pain, suffering, and time off work may depend on a variety of factors.
For example, if you are injured but only have a few medical bills and miss just a few days of work, your compensation may be much less than it would if you were severely injured and spent considerable time out of work recovering. If you lost a loved one due to a forklift accident, you may still be entitled to compensation. Families may be able to recover compensation for loss of support and funeral expenses.
Our team at Shulman & Hill can work with you to fight for a fair amount of compensation that is reasonable for your case. We can analyze all aspects of your case to determine the full extent of your losses. Here are some of the factors to consider:
- How the accident occurred and who may have been at fault
- Whether anyone else was injured in the accident
- How severe your injuries are
- The amount of time you missed from work (including the time you are anticipating you will miss in the future)
- The nature of your required medical treatment
- The amounts of your medical bills and other bills directly related to the accident
- The wages you were earning before the injury
After investigating your case, we will be able to gather evidence that shows why you may be eligible for financial compensation.
What Should I Do After a Forklift Accident?
After a forklift accident has occurred, the first thing you need to do is report the injury to your team leader. The accident and injuries should be reported as soon as possible to create a paper trail and ensure all details of the accident are understood by those involved.
Although you may be tempted to report the incident verbally while you seek medical attention, stress the importance of filling out a written report to your employer. Once you have done so, get a copy of this report. Additionally, confirm that your doctor writes a detailed note that documents your visit, the manner in which the accident occurred, and the extent of your injuries. Follow all recommendations regarding treatment and therapy to help yourself heal. In the future, both doctor’s notes and injury report documents could prove crucial to the outcome of your case.
Shulman & Hill obtained a $2,500,000 settlement for a non-union laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $2,000,000 settlement for an immigrant laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,600,000 settlement for a 53-year-old union bus driver
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,500,000 settlement for an undocumented day laborer
Shulman & Hill obtained a $1,500,000 settlement for a bus driver
It is also extremely important to refrain from admitting any fault for the accident. An attorney in New York City that specializes in forklift accidents can discuss whether or not you are partially at fault before pursuing compensation. Although you may wish to go it alone, insurance companies are out to protect their bottom line and can try to capitalize on your mistakes when it comes to accepting fault. A forklift accident attorney can help you avoid these mistakes and strengthen your case.
Why You Should Hire Shulman & Hill
At Shulman & Hill, we take every case seriously. When you work with us, you can trust that you are in good hands. Since we opened our doors in 2013, we have helped clients recover hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation. Our lawyers are specially trained to help you through every step of your legal journey. After all, you should shift your focus to what is most important: your recovery.
Forklift accidents are serious workplace events with the potential to cause life-altering injuries. After seeking necessary medical treatment, contact the attorneys at Shulman & Hill and explore your options for pursuing compensation during a free legal consultation.