New York Plane Accident Lawyer
With the invention and popularization of airplanes, traveling has become much more efficient. Unfortunately, the more one travels, the greater the risk of suffering an injury. When airlines, pilots, or airplane manufacturers do not follow necessary guidelines or neglect safety rules, they may put the lives of others at risk.
If you or a loved one was injured in an aviation accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Hire a New York plane accident attorney at Shulman & Hill to maximize your chances of collecting it.
Causes of New York Plane Accidents
There are many potential causes of a New York aviation accident. The following are among the more common:
Operating any vehicle while intoxicated is dangerous. It is particularly dangerous when operating a vehicle as large and complex as an airplane. While pilot intoxication may not be a remarkably widespread problem, it is more common than many realize.
When a pilot is intoxicated, they are likely to put others at risk by:
- Improperly navigating the route
- Failing to monitor flight instruments and data
- Forgetting to engage necessary safety systems
- Failing to follow directives from air traffic control
- Violating safety regulations
Pilot error is another common cause of plane accidents. Dangerous mistakes involving pilot error include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Not making pre-takeoff safety checks, forgetting steps in the process, or neglecting existing rules
- Ignoring warnings of dangerous conditions
- Carelessly operating the vehicle during takeoff or landing
- Overlooking or downplaying hazardous weather conditions
- Making improper course adjustments
A plane’s pilot is not the only individual whose negligence can cause an aviation accident. There are instances when created hazards are a result of an airline’s negligence. Examples of airline negligence include:
- Failure to refuel a plane before takeoff
- Failure to address such hazards as ice on the runway
- Overlooking important mechanical problems
- Failing to properly explain safety procedures to passengers
- Hiring unqualified pilots or ground crew workers
- Failing to address a passenger’s special needs
Those responsible for designing, manufacturing, and/or maintaining aircraft play a crucial role when it comes to flight safety. Sadly, they too can be negligent or miss an important detail. Accidents may occur if they fail to address:
- Safety system defects
- Defective landing gear
- Computer defects
- Communication system defects
- Defective engines
Air Traffic Control Error
Safely taking off and landing a plane requires coordinating with air traffic control. Examples of air traffic controller error may include:
- Crowding a runway with two aircraft at one time
- Allowing a plane to land before the landing strip has been cleared
- Allowing a plane to take off in unreasonably busy airspace
- Providing pilots with inaccurate information
- Failing to warn pilots about hazardous conditions
The Consequences of a New York Plane Accident
Regardless of who may be liable for your New York plane accident, the impact it may have on your life will likely be significant. At the very least, there is a chance you sustain injuries that require costly medical treatment. Your financial burden may be exacerbated if your injuries also prevent you from returning to work. In some cases, severe injuries (such as spinal cord injuries) can leave you paralyzed, and permanently unable to work.
You likely deserve to be compensated when someone else’s negligence caused your accident, leaving you with medical bills and lost wages due to your inability to work. Pursuing what you may be owed typically involves filing a claim against the negligent party’s insurance. An attorney can help determine your losses and assist with paperwork.
How a New York Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help Investigate Your Accident
Many parties can potentially cause a plane accident. It is necessary to identify who may have caused your injury in order to know where to seek compensation from.
This requires conducting a thorough investigation. Determining liability can be complex if you lack the resources and necessary skills. Working with a plane accident law firm in New York could greatly benefit your claim. Our team at Shulman & Hill can take all steps needed to help identify the negligent party and hold them financially responsible for your injuries.
The Next Step: Negotiation
Hiring a qualified New York plane accident lawyer is also critical since you will likely need a legal expert on your side to fight for fair compensation. They will know how to properly negotiate with an insurance company. Insurance companies are businesses, and businesses are typically not inclined to lose money. Insurers might take various steps to avoid compensating a victim properly when they file a claim.
These steps may include:
- Denying a claim altogether
- Not informing a claimant that they are entitled to compensation for more than just their medical bills
- Using a claimant’s statements against them
- Claiming your own negligence contributed to the accident
- Claiming you have not provided sufficient evidence proving the accident was the result of someone else’s negligence
- Refusing to settle
Hiring a New York plane accident lawyer ensures you have representation from a skilled professional who has negotiating experience, as well as the knowledge needed to prove you are potentially entitled to compensation. We can handle all correspondence with the insurer, negotiate for a fair settlement offer, and if necessary, take your case to trial to fight for a favorable verdict.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
Choosing a personal injury law firm in New York can be a daunting experience. You want to know the attorneys handling your case can actually deliver results and will not merely promise to.
That is why Shulman & Hill points prospective clients to our proven track record of success, offering examples that show we make good on our promises time and time again. Learn more by calling 212.221.1000 today or contacting us online to schedule a free legal consultation.
WE WORK WITH YOU
TO GET YOU COMPENSATED
Everyday working people often struggle to afford top-tier legal representation. To ensure equal access to justice, we work on a contingency-fee basis. You pay no attorneys’ fees unless we achieve a settlement or verdict in your case.
More practice areas
Over 300 million dollars won