Working on a construction site can be dangerous. There are numerous potential hazards on a daily basis, leading to such accidents as falling from heights or chemical poisoning. Amongst others, building collapses cause a big issue for construction workers and everyone around. Collapses often happen suddenly and those who are inside or near the building can be severely injured in the process.
If you or a loved one are a victim of a building collapse in Brooklyn, reach out to an attorney to help your case. At Shulman & Hill, we are happy to provide you with the help and legal counsel you may need after such an accident.
Why Do Building Collapses Happen?
There is a number of reasons why a building may collapse. It can occur due to the poor construction of the building or negligence on part of those in charge of the construction. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Weak foundation: It requires a lot of work and money to make sure the foundation is strong and will hold the rest of the structure. There are many regulations to follow. If ignored, the foundation may break and the building may come down.
- Weak materials: If the materials used in the project are too weak or low-quality, they may cause the building to fall. Poorly made materials are likely not strong enough to support the building.
- Worker mistakes: If the employees rush through the work or do not have the proper training, they may struggle to create a decent structure. All workers should be properly trained before starting on any building.
- Failure to test the strength: There are several times in the building process where strength and durability should be tested. If this is neglected, it is hard to trust how stable the whole building will turn out to be.
Investigation During a Building Collapse Claim
It is important to know what to expect when you hire an attorney to help with your building collapse case. Collapsing structures are often a result of construction activity, whether it is a brand new construction or renovations. A building next to the one that fell down can be affected as well.
These incidents can also occur when the building is worn out and not properly taken care of. If the person in charge has not inspected the integrity of the building or has not been properly maintaining it, it can get run down and weaken, leading to a collapse.
If you or a family member is injured because of a building that collapsed, you can benefit from the assistance of an attorney in Brooklyn. A personal injury lawyer will take the time to investigate your specific situation and figure out who may be liable, what your injuries are, and anything else needed for the case to continue. Some of the things that our team will investigate include:
- The negligent party, and how they were negligent in your specific case.
- The person that may be liable for compensating those injured from the building collapse.
- If someone is injured due to the collapse, we will take a look at the prognosis and financial remedies that will be needed, as well as calculate all losses for the future claim.
- If someone dies, we will investigate how the family may be impacted, now and in the future, from this loss.
The above information is needed to then be used to file a claim against the responsible party. In the process, we can help you determine the right compensation for injuries, loss of a loved one, medical bills, and any other things resulting from the accident.
Injuries from a Building Collapse Claim
When a building collapses, it is likely to cause a lot of damage. It is rare that the injured party is left without injuries. The severity of these injuries can vary depending on the specifics of this case. They will likely require medical assistance and possibly hospitalization if the injury is not fatal.
Said medical bills may affect your budget greatly. Immediate and ongoing treatment is not something to save money on, it is crucial to tend to any injuries you have. That said, the payments can be substantial, especially in the case you would need to stay in the hospital for a prolonged time. Medical treatment may be required for years as well, and it is important to keep that in mind when filing a claim.
In some cases of these accidents, taking a hit by a falling building in Brooklyn may be fatal. Losing a loved one is always be difficult, let alone an unexpected death. The family would need to step forward, and the right attorney would be greatly helpful.
The family may be able to get compensation for the loss of a loved one, lost wages, any medical bills of the deceased, as well as funeral costs. Yet, determining losses and calculating the exact amount of compensation is complex. An experienced lawyer will have the best legal advice and can assist you with paperwork.
No matter what happened during the building collapse, it is important to have the right team on your side. Our attorneys are happy to answer any questions and look into your case to figure out what we can do for you. There is no need to not suffer alone and try to do the work on your own. Contact our team to help you right away.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
If you are looking for a lawyer to help with your building collapse case, it is important to have someone experienced by your side. This can help you get the compensation that you potentially deserve, regardless of what happened during the accident. Our Brooklyn team is here to help you through the process, standing by you all the way. We will discuss your case in-depth and represent you in all negotiations, as well as handle the heavy work while you focus your time on recovery. To consult a Brooklyn building collapse lawyer, fill out a free case evaluation form today.