One of the benefits of living or working in Long Island City is being able to live without owning a vehicle. One can get nearly anywhere just by walking. With all of the foot traffic, it may seem that streets are safe for pedestrians, but despite the best efforts of law enforcement agencies, legislators, and local officials, there is an increasing number of pedestrians injured by drivers each year.
If you or a loved one have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Building a strong case, negotiating with the insurance company, and filing a lawsuit can be complex. Legal representation from an experienced pedestrian accident law firm like Shulman & Hill can greatly benefit your chances of recovering the compensation you are likely entitled to.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Long Island City
Being injured as a pedestrian can be devastating since you are more exposed compared to someone in a vehicle. There is nearly no protection to be offered when an accident occurs, and injuries can require a long road of healing and recovery. Injuries can leave the victim with chronic pain, disfigurements, and even permanent disabilities or reductions in function.
Pedestrian accidents typically involve being struck by a car or other vehicle. The potential causes of these accidents are wide-ranging. They include–but are not limited to–the following:
- Distracted driving. The rise of smartphones has unfortunately resulted in more drivers being distracted behind the wheel.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Sleep-deprived driving. Driving without adequate sleep is arguably as dangerous as driving drunk.
- Aggressive driving. Some drivers get frustrated when they have to yield the right of way to pedestrians and react with aggression accordingly.
- Hazardous road conditions
- Hazardous weather conditions
Be aware that the rate of pedestrian accidents in New York City is on the rise. You must be vigilant to avoid injury when walking around Long Island City.
The Aftermath of a Pedestrian Accident in Long Island City
Any type of accident involving a car or other motor vehicle can cause serious injury. If you are hurt in a Long Island pedestrian accident, you may need medical treatment. The treatment can be short-term, or it can last weeks or even months depending on the severity of your injuries.
You are likely unprepared to pay for such treatment, due to the sudden nature of your injury. If your injuries are severe, they may prevent you from returning to work for an extended period of time. In this case, you may have even more difficulty paying for your medical bills since you will not have the ability to earn a paycheck.
After severe injuries, victims may not be able to return to work at all and may struggle to pay even the most basic of household expenses. If you find yourself falling behind on bills because of your injuries, do not hesitate to reach out to Shulman & Hill for help.
If you ever find yourself harmed in a pedestrian accident, meeting with the expert lawyers at our law firm could be highly beneficial. At Shulman & Hill, we can help you pursue the compensation to which you may be entitled.
How Our Pedestrian Accident Law Firm Can Help
When you are harmed in a pedestrian accident, you can typically seek compensation for your losses by filing a lawsuit. It can be highly beneficial to enlist the help of an attorney in these circumstances. We can assist you in the following key ways:
- Thoroughly investigating your case to determine who the liable party may be. The first step to pursuing any potential compensation is to identify the negligent party(s) who may have caused your accident.
- Reviewing your losses to help identify and pursue a fair settlement offer or verdict.
- Filing a demand letter, collecting and providing evidence of your losses. We can take over the paperwork so you have time to focus on your health.
- Corresponding with the insurance companies, attorneys, doctors, and any other relevant parties. When one is recovering from injuries sustained in the accident, they do not want to burden themselves with the various daunting tasks the legal process involves. Between collecting evidence, filing a demand letter, and corresponding with insurance adjusters, the process can be draining. We can handle all the major and minor steps of the legal process.
- Negotiating on your behalf for a fair settlement and going to court to pursue damages if an insurance company refuses to settle. The negotiation process is among the top reasons to work with a pedestrian accident law firm when seeking compensation.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
Shulman & Hill has become one of the most reliable law firms in New York because we truly understand the serious consequences of pedestrian accidents and just how painful these situations can be.
We also understand that the process of selecting an attorney can be overwhelming. Some lawyers may claim that they have the expertise necessary to guarantee a fair settlement or a victory in the courtroom. Instead of making empty claims, our team at Shulman & Hill can reference our numerous past successes.
Our team of expert attorneys and legal professionals is here to help. No matter how big or how small, we can review your case and determine the best way to pursue compensation. Schedule a free consultation today to learn more about how we can help.