Every single day, Manhattan is swarming with millions of people. This can result in very crowded roads. Because high traffic density often results in a higher-than-average risk of pedestrian accidents, it is very important that you exercise caution and are vigilantly aware of your surroundings when walking around Manhattan.
Unfortunately, even if you are reasonably careful, you may still one day be involved in a Manhattan pedestrian accident. If you find yourself in these unfortunate circumstances, you should contact a personal injury lawyer near Manhattan. You may be entitled to compensation for losses like medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. A Manhattan pedestrian accident attorney at Shulman & Hill can review your case for free and determine how best to proceed.
Important Information About Pedestrian Accidents in Manhattan
Do not underestimate the importance of paying close attention to your surroundings in Manhattan. In 2020, nearly 100 pedestrians died in New York City traffic collisions.
How Manhattan Pedestrian Accidents Happen
Potential causes of Manhattan pedestrian accidents include (but are not necessarily limited to) the following:
- Distracted driving. The rise of smartphones has unfortunately resulted in more drivers being distracted behind the wheel.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Sleep-deprived driving. Driving without adequate sleep is arguably as dangerous as driving drunk.
- Aggressive driving. In Manhattan, some drivers get frustrated when they have to yield the right of way to pedestrians, and react with aggression accordingly.
- Vehicle defects. Even if a driver is trying to avoid hitting you by applying the brakes, it may not be possible to do so in time. If the designer or manufacturer of their vehicle overlooked a defect in the braking system, they may be unable to stop.
- Hazardous road conditions
- Hazardous weather conditions and poor visibility
Intersections Where Manhattan Pedestrian Accidents are Common
A pedestrian accident can happen virtually anywhere. Some intersections are more dangerous for pedestrians than others. They include:
- Canal and Mott Street
- East 96th Street and Third Avenue
- Lafayette Street and Canal Street
- East 30th Street and Third Avenue
- East 62nd Street and First Avenue
Be particularly vigilant at these intersections. If you can, try to avoid them entirely when walking on foot. One of the many benefits of walking around Manhattan is the fact that you have numerous routes to choose from.
The Aftermath of a Pedestrian Accident in Manhattan
Any type of accident involving a car or other motor vehicle can cause serious injury. However, a pedestrian accident can be very devastating because, unlike a typical car accident (in which you may have the metal frame of a vehicle to protect you), you are more exposed and vulnerable when walking on foot.
If you are hurt in a Manhattan pedestrian accident, you will likely need to undergo medical treatment. Your treatment may last weeks or even months depending on the severity of your injuries.
There is also a good chance you are not prepared to pay for such treatment. If your injuries prevent you from returning to work for an extended period of time, you may have even more difficulty paying for your medical bills. Severe injuries may prevent victims from returning to work, which can cause them to struggle to pay basic household expenses.
You may also face losses that are not strictly financial in nature. There is a good chance your injuries will cause significant pain and suffering which may prevent you from participating and enjoying your normal activities.
A personal injury attorney at Shulman & Hill can help you recover compensation to account for these losses. Meet with the experts at our personal injury law firm near Manhattan to learn more about your legal options.
How Our Pedestrian Accident Law Firm in Manhattan Can Help
When you are injured in a Manhattan pedestrian accident because a driver was negligent, our lawyers will devise the best strategy that meets your case’s unique needs to receive the full compensation that you may deserve.
It is highly advisable to enlist the help of a Manhattan pedestrian accident lawyer in these circumstances. We can assist you in the following key ways:
- Thoroughly investigating the accident to determine who may be responsible for compensating you
- Accounting for all applicable losses and factors to negotiate directly with the defendants’ insurance company to get you the compensation you deserve
- Filing a demand letter and providing evidence of your losses
- Commencing a lawsuit by filing all necessary court documents; conducting depositions of all relevant parties; and reviewing all of the evidence in your case.
- Corresponding with the insurance companies, attorneys, doctors, and any other relevant parties
- Negotiating on your behalf for a fair settlement or taking your case to trial to pursue damages
Keep in mind that the claims process can involve a wide range of tasks. After a pedestrian accident, you should focus on your recovery. Let the experts at Shulman & Hill handle your claim or lawsuit for you.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
At Shulman & Hill, we stand out from other firms because we have a track record of consistent success. Since we opened our doors, we have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our injured clients.
We operate on a contingency-fee model which means you will only pay for our services if we are able to secure compensation for you. Call us today at 212-221-1000 to schedule a free legal consultation and learn more about how we can help you.