New York City is one of the most vibrant and appealing cities on the planet. It is easy to understand why so many people choose to live in, work in, and visit New York. As invigorating as life in New York may be, it can also be dangerous if you are not paying attention. In a busy city like New York, there are many potential hazards that can put you at risk of an injury.
Objects falling from windows, roofs, scaffolding, or other high spots can cause accidents. If you have been injured after being struck by a falling object in New York City, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and more. Review your case with a New York City falling object attorney at Shulman & Hill to discuss your options.
New York City Falling Object Accidents: Essential Information
Injuries sustained when a person is struck by falling objects are far more common than one might expect. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, hundreds of thousands of workers are injured in accidents every year.
Working in construction or a similar field may put someone at a greater-than-average risk of being hurt by a falling object. However, anyone can be involved in these accidents due to various circumstances. The risk of being harmed in a falling object accident tends to increase in a large city filled with tall buildings. Even if you do not work in construction, it can be difficult to avoid construction sites entirely when walking around New York City.
Causes of New York City Falling Object Accidents
New York City falling object accidents have numerous potential causes. The following are merely some of the more noteworthy:
- An air conditioner or similar piece of equipment fell from a window
- An object fell from a construction site
- An object fell from a roof
- An object fell from a store shelf
In many cases, these accidents are the result of someone else’s negligence. You could be injured in a New York City falling object accident through no fault of your own if:
- No one put up proper signage on or around a construction site letting you know of the potential danger
- Scaffolding lacked proper guardrails
- Construction workers did not adhere to proper safety procedures
- Machinery or equipment at a construction site was defective
- An item on a store shelf was not properly secured
The Consequences of a New York City Falling Object Accident
Falling objects can cause a wide range of injuries. Fortunately, many are mild and result in a just few cuts or bruises. Unfortunately, others are more severe and could lead to head trauma, blindness, and broken bones. These injuries have the potential to permanently affect a victim’s long-term quality of life.
Losses and struggles you might face after being injured in a New York City falling object accident include (but are not limited to):
- Medical bills
- Lost wages (if your injuries limit your ability to work)
- Inability to participate in activities you once enjoyed
- Mental and/or emotional anguish
- Inability to perform daily tasks
- Inability to fulfill your role as a spouse, parent, etc
You may be entitled to compensation for your losses if your accident came by way of another party’s negligence. If you are unsure if your particular accident qualifies, a falling object lawyer from Shulman & Hill can review your case and help you through the full extent of the legal process.
Seeking Compensation After a New York City Falling Object Accident
You will typically begin the process of seeking compensation after your accident by filing a claim against the negligent party’s insurance. Before you do so, you need to identify who the negligent party actually is.
As one might assume, this is not always abundantly clear. If you were injured after an object fell from a construction site, you might guess the accident occurred because a worker failed to abide by established safety rules.
This may be an accurate assumption. However, it is possible that all workers properly emphasized safety, but an object fell because of a machinery or equipment defect. If the construction company properly maintained the machinery or equipment, the negligent party may be a designer or manufacturer.
Examples like this can illustrate the importance of working with a personal injury law firm. At our falling object law firm in New York City, we have access to the resources necessary to thoroughly investigate your accident. Our investigation can properly identify any negligent parties and ensure that the proper course of action is taken to hold them accountable.
How New York City Falling Object Attorneys Can Help
Accurately determining who is responsible for compensating you after a New York City falling object accident is just one way we can help. Other services we provide include:
- Accounting for your various losses and struggles to determine an appropriate amount of compensation to pursue
- Presenting evidence showing the amount of compensation you are asking for is what you genuinely believe you may be entitled to
- Rejecting subpar offers. Some insurance companies prefer when claimants work with them directly instead of hiring lawyers. If you do not have proper representation, an insurer may have a better chance of convincing you to settle for less
- Handling all major correspondence with the insurance company (this gives you more time to focus on your recovery).
- Filing paperwork
- Going to court if it is impossible to reach a fair settlement
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
The impact a New York City falling object accident has on your life can be substantial. You need to know that you have hired a New York City falling object lawyer you can trust to aggressively seek compensation for your losses.
At Shulman & Hill, we have a proven track record of effectively representing clients who have been victimized by accidents. We can gladly view your case through the lens of our past successes, but we do understand that each case is different. As a result, we work on a contingency model to assess the viability of your case. To learn more about how we can help, call us today at 212-221-1000 or schedule a free consultation online.