It is no secret that planes, while safer than some fear, can be involved in accidents leaving people with severe injuries. It is not uncommon for such accidents to be the result of someone’s negligence. If you or a loved one is injured in an aviation accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Hire a New York plane accident attorney at Shulman & Hill to maximize your chances of collecting it.
New York Plane Accident Causes
There are many potential causes of a New York aviation accident. The following are among the more noteworthy:
Operating any vehicle while intoxicated is dangerous. However, it is particularly dangerous when operating a vehicle as large and complex as a plane. Unfortunately, while pilot intoxication may not be a remarkably widespread problem, it is more common than many realize.
When a pilot is intoxicated, they are more likely to put others at risk by:
- Improperly navigating the route,
- Overlooking flying instruments,
- Forgetting to engage necessary safety systems,
- Failing to regard directives from air traffic control,
- Violating safety regulations.
A pilot does not need to be intoxicated to cause an accident. Pilot error is another common cause. Dangerous mistakes involving pilot error include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Not making pre-takeoff safety checks, or forgetting steps in the process,
- Ignoring readouts warning of dangerous conditions,
- Carelessly operating the vehicle during takeoff or landing,
- Overlooking or downplaying hazardous weather conditions,
- Making improper course adjustments.
A plane’s pilot is not the only individual whose negligence can cause an aviation accident. Sometimes, accidents are the result of the airline’s negligence. Examples of airline negligence include:
- Failure to refuel a plane before takeoff,
- Failure to address such hazards as ice on the runway,
- Overlooking mechanical problems,
- Failing to properly explain safety procedures to passengers,
- Hiring unqualified pilots or ground crew workers,
- Failing to address a passenger’s special needs.
Those responsible for designing, manufacturing, and/or maintaining aircraft can also be negligent. Accidents may thus occur if they fail to address:
- Safety system defects,
- Defective landing gear,
- Computer defects,
- Communication system defects,
- Defective engines.
Air Traffic Control Error
Safely taking off and landing a plane requires coordinating with air traffic control. Accidents can happen when an air traffic controller is negligent. Examples of air traffic controller error may include:
- Crowding a runway with two aircraft at one time,
- Allowing a plane to land before the landing strip has been cleared,
- Allowing a plane to take off in unreasonably busy airspace,
- Providing pilots with inaccurate information,
- Failing to warn pilots about hazardous conditions.
The Consequences of a New York Plane Accident
Regardless of whose negligence caused your New York plane accident, if you are involved in one, the impact it may have on your life will likely be significant. At the very least, there is a good chance you will sustain injuries that require costly medical treatment. Your financial burden may be exacerbated if your injuries also prevent you from returning to work. In some cases, severe injuries (such as spinal cord injuries) can leave you paralyzed.
Keep in mind that not all losses and struggles you may face after a New York aviation accident have an obvious monetary value. Examples of such struggles include pain, mental anguish, and more.
You deserve to be compensated accordingly when someone else’s negligence caused your accident. Pursuing what you may be owed typically involves filing a claim against the negligent party’s insurance. If you cannot reach a fair settlement, you can proceed to file a lawsuit.
The First Step a New York Personal Injury Lawyer Takes: Investigation
As the examples above make clear, many parties can potentially cause a plane accident. You need to accurately identify who caused yours in order to know who you should seek compensation from.
This requires conducting a thorough investigation. It is highly unlikely you will have the resources necessary to conduct such an investigation yourself. Instead, you need to coordinate with a plane accident law firm in New York. Our team at Shulman & Hill can take all necessary steps to correctly identify the negligent party. This ensures you are pursuing compensation from those potentially required to provide it.
The Next Step: Negotiation
Hiring a qualified New York plane accident lawyer is also critical because you need someone on your side who knows how to properly negotiate with an insurance company. Remember, insurance is a business, and businesses are typically not inclined to lose money. Instead, insurers might take various steps to avoid compensating a victim properly when they file a claim.
These steps may include:
- Denying a claim altogether.
- Not informing a claimant that they are entitled to compensation for more than just their medical bills.
- Using a claimant’s statements against them. For example, if you make the mistake of telling an adjuster you are feeling fine when they ask how you are doing, they can say your pain is not as substantial as you first made it out to be, and you therefore do not deserve compensation for it.
- Claiming your own negligence contributed to the accident.
- Claiming you have not provided sufficient evidence proving the accident was the result of someone else’s negligence.
- Going to court instead of settling.
Hiring a New York plane accident lawyer ensures you have representation from someone who knows how to negotiate with an insurance company effectively. We can handle all correspondence with the insurer, accurately calculate how much compensation you may be entitled to, cite evidence to prove that amount is an appropriate sum, and if necessary, represent you in court.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
Choosing a personal injury law firm in New York can be a daunting experience. You want to know the attorneys handling your case can actually deliver results, and do not merely promise to.
That is why we do not ask potential clients to blindly trust us when we claim we are the right team for their needs. Instead, we point to our proven track record of success, offering examples that show we make good on our promises time and time again. Learn more by calling 212.221.1000 today or contacting us online.