An injury can occur to anyone, anywhere, at any time. Nobody expects to get injured. They do expect, though, that when an injury is the fault of someone else, there will be a clear path to holding them accountable.
Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Many factors can complicate the personal injury claims process, from questions about blame to uncooperative insurance companies. Even when the facts are on the victim’s side, personal injury cases are rarely “open and shut.” Often, it is necessary for the injured party to fight for their rights.
When an injury happens, you can expect the personal injury attorneys at Shulman & Hill to provide the personal care and powerful representation that you deserve. We have built one of the top injury law firms in New York based on unwavering client service and uncompromising advocacy. To us, every case matters, and every client is important.
Shulman & Hill handles personal injury lawsuits in New York and New York City, including the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan. We offer free consultations and handle all cases on a contingency-fee basis, so you pay no hourly fees and no fees at all unless you win.
Our Personal Injury Practice Areas
According to the New York State Department of Health, 1.5 million New Yorkers are treated and released from an emergency department for injuries each year. More than 155,000 people in New York are injured seriously enough annually to require hospitalization. To make matters worse, approximately 8,000 New York residents die from injuries each year.
Anyone who has been seriously hurt risks being just another statistic if they do not have a strong, experienced injury attorney standing behind them. Shulman & Hill handles a wide range of personal injury cases. We invite you to schedule a free case evaluation with an attorney if you suffered an injury in any of the following practice areas:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Birth injuries
- Medical malpractice
- Construction accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Amusement park accidents
- Boating accidents
- Trips, Slips, and Falls
- Taxi, Uber, and Lyft Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse
It is best to seek legal advice from a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your accident. Personal injury claims in New York are subject to a statute of limitations of 2.5 to 3 years, so it is important to act fast. Missing the filing deadline could invalidate your right to file a lawsuit. Call Shulman & Hill at 212-221-1000 or contact us online.
Our Personal Injury Case Results
Since our founding in 2013, Shulman & Hill has helped thousands of New Yorkers get the compensation they deserve. Our personal injury attorneys have recovered over $200 million (and counting!) in verdicts and settlements. Some recent highlights include:
- $1.1 million settlement for an Uber driver who was rear-ended by a commercial vehicle
- $750,000 settlement for a union bus driver who slipped and fell on ice in a parking lot
- $1.175 million settlement for a construction worker who fell from a ladder
- $625,00 for a delivery driver injured in a car accident with a commercial bus
- $500,000 for a school employee who suffered a pelvic fracture when a fence fell on her
- $485,000 for a construction worker who suffered a partial amputation of two fingers on the job site
In less than a decade, our track record of success has propelled us into a place of distinction among personal injury law firms in New York. Every win for us is a win for our clients. Continuing to win for the hard-working people of New York is the driving force behind our firm. See more of our personal injury verdicts and settlements
What Compensation Can I Recover In a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Getting hurt is expensive. The New York Department of Health estimates that a simple visit to the emergency department costs an average of $2,000, while a 6-day hospital stay costs more than $45,000. Catastrophic injuries, such as spinal cord injuries or traumatic brain injuries, are even more expensive—potentially costing hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars in lifetime care. When a wrongful death occurs, the financial burden does not end with funeral expenses. Your family may also miss out on the lost services that a loved one can no longer provide.
A personal injury claim can provide compensation for both the economic and non-economic losses associated with a serious injury.
- Economic losses cover expenses with a clear, calculable amount of money, such as medical expenses and lost wages.
- Non-economic losses are more subjective and cover things like physical and emotional pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages may also be available if the court determines that the defendant’s behavior was grossly negligent or intentional.
The amount of compensation a personal injury victim is entitled to is entirely dependent on the extent of their losses. Shulman & Hill has recovered large settlements for people who were seriously injured. We cannot tell you how much your case is worth until we know more about the circumstances. However, we can tell you that, once you become a client, our New York City personal injury law firm will use our strength to maximize your recovery.
We understand that you may be feeling overwhelmed by the medical bills and emotional hardships that accompany a personal injury. You do not have to face these difficulties alone. The New York personal injury lawyers at Shulman & Hill are a powerful ally in your fight to hold the negligent party accountable, obtain the compensation you may be entitled to, and recover from your accident.
Ready to talk to a personal injury lawyer? Call or contact us to schedule your free consultation.
Establishing Liability In a New York Personal Injury Case
A successful personal injury lawsuit hinges on proving that another person, a business, or a government entity was negligent. Negligence means that another party owed you a duty of care, but failed to meet it. This, in turn, caused your injuries. The New York City Bar defines duty of care as a responsibility to refrain from behavior that would cause foreseeable injury to another.
Almost every day, in a variety of personal, professional, and casual situations, we have a duty to refrain from negligent behavior. For example:
- When driving, we have a duty to obey traffic laws. If we speed, drive while intoxicated, or engage in distracted driving, these behaviors could be considered negligent.
- Doctors have a duty to properly diagnose a patient’s medical condition. Failure to do so could be a case of medical negligence (i.e. medical malpractice).
- Property owners have a duty to keep their grounds safe for visitors. They should readily identify hazards—such as slippery substances on the floor—and remove them. A visitor who is injured because of a hazard could file a personal injury claim against the owner.
Under New York State personal injury law, your own negligence may also be a factor—even if the other party is found to be negligent. The State of New York uses what is known as “comparative negligence” to assess damages in a personal injury claim. For instance, if you are found to be 20% responsible for your injuries, then 20% is subtracted from the damage award. Of course, insurance companies may try to assign blame to you in order to reduce the compensation they pay. This is one of the tricks that a New York City personal injury lawyer can help you overcome.
If you or a loved one suffered serious injuries and think negligence played a role, a personal injury attorney can explain your legal rights and options during a no-cost, no-obligation case review. Prompt action helps to preserve evidence and build the strongest possible case. As a client, our entire legal team and support staff will be dedicated to your case and your well-being. For us, every injury is personal, and every case matters. With the full strength of Shulman & Hill behind you, you will be back on the path to recovery.
Schedule a free consultation with an NYC personal injury lawyer.
Reasons to Hire Shulman & Hill for Your NYC Personal Injury Case
You may have already learned the hard way that insurance companies do not have your best interests in mind. Their slogans might sound like they put people first and do whatever it takes to remedy a bad situation. They might tell you that there is no need to hire a lawyer; that doing so will only cost you more money and make the claims process needlessly complicated. Although they may say one thing, they routinely do another. It is in their best interest to minimize the amount they pay you. Sadly, their entire business model is based on this.
After an accident, you need someone who is truly looking out for your interests. Shulman & Hill is a check on the powers of the insurance industry. Our model is based on treating you with the respect you deserve and obtaining the results that matter. The goal of our New York personal injury lawyers is to level the playing field between massive for-profit insurance companies and everyday people who have been injured. We have been on a mission to help New York accident victims since 2013. During that time, we have built Shulman & Hill into a force to be reckoned with. There is a reason why clients sing our praises and recommend us. Actually, there are many reasons.
- The Respect You Deserve: We believe in the importance of every client. Every case matters to every attorney at our firm. We are passionate about getting personal injury victims the medical treatment they need and the compensation to pay for it. The team at Shulman & Hill provides compassionate representation because we understand the impact injuries have on our clients’ lives. We will be by your side, helping you at every step of the process.
- The Results That Matter: Our commitment to you and your family includes achieving the best results possible. While respect is a cornerstone of our practice, we recognize that the bottom line is also of the highest importance in a personal injury case. Shulman & Hill consistently obtains outstanding client results. Since our founding in 2013, we have won over $200 million for our clients.
- Trial Experience: We have some of the most battle-hardened, tough, and tenacious personal injury lawyers in New York. They have years of experience trying cases and are prepared to take a case before a jury if necessary. This sends a strong message to the opposition that we will not accept a quick and cheap settlement. We welcome going to court. Our trial lawyers are prepared to win when a case reaches this stage.
- Recognition: The personal injury attorneys at Shulman & Hill have been recognized for their excellence by some of the most prominent legal industry organizations including Super Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, and the American Academy of Attorneys.
- Contingency-Fee Representation: Working men and women often struggle to afford top-tier legal representation. The justice system should not work just for big insurance companies and deep-pocketed individuals. It should work for everyone. This is why we accept personal injury cases on a contingency-fee-basis. Our clients pay no attorneys’ fees unless we achieve a settlement or verdict in their case.
Speak With a New York Personal Injury Attorney
The days, weeks, and months following a serious accident are not the time to compromise. Plenty of New York personal injury law firms promise great results, but few have the trial skills to back these promises up. Even fewer have the experience and the track record to gain the instant respect of opponents.
Shulman & Hill is not your average personal injury law firm. We are one of the largest, most aggressive, and most successful personal injury firms in New York. We use our strength to advocate for our clients and maximize their recoveries. When failure is not an option, you need an NYC personal injury firm that will do everything in its power to help and support you. You need an attorney that will be by your side at every step of the process. You need Shulman & Hill.
Depending on the case, the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit is just 2.5 to 3 years. Do not miss out on your chance to file a lawsuit. Contact a New York personal injury lawyer today for a free consultation.