If you rely on a motorcycle to get from point A to point B in Queens, it is crucial that you are vigilant on the road. Statistics indicate that motorcycle riders are in greater danger of being seriously injured when they are involved in accidents, compared to drivers and passengers of other vehicles.
While you can choose to be safe and exercise caution on the road, you cannot decide how others will drive. You may one day be involved in a motorcycle accident and become seriously injured.
You may be entitled to compensation for losses such as your medical bills, lost wages, and others that result from the accident. Review your case with a Queens motorcycle accident attorney at Shulman & Hill to learn more about your case. Our legal team can help you recover the full amount of compensation to which you may be entitled.
Queens Motorcycle Accident Cases: What You Need to Know
Compared to other New York City boroughs, the rate of motorcycle accidents in Queens is relatively high. The only borough that sees more motorcycle accidents is Brooklyn.
A Queens motorcycle accident can be devastating. Research shows that, when involved in an accident, a motorcycle rider is 27 times more likely to die than those in larger vehicles. Motorcyclists who survive accidents still tend to sustain severe injuries.
When you are in a car, truck, or similar vehicle, you have a steel frame and seatbelt protecting you in the event of a collision. That is not the case when you are riding a motorcycle, leaving you much more vulnerable.
Queens Motorcycle Accidents: Common Causes
The potential causes of Queens motorcycle accidents are wide-ranging. They include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Driving under the influence increases the risk of a motor vehicle crash greatly, potentially affecting other drivers and pedestrians.
- Distracted driving. Now that smartphones are commonplace, distracted driving accidents have also become increasingly common.
- Failure to see a motorcyclist. Because motorcycles are smaller than other vehicles, drivers are more likely to overlook them when changing lanes.
- Motorcycle defects. A minor defective detail missed by the designer or manufacturer of the bike can result in a devastating accident.
- Hazardous road conditions. A motorcyclist may choose to drive even if the weather is dangerous, while the vehicle may not have been built for such conditions.
- Sleep-deprived driving. Many do not realize that driving without adequate sleep can be as dangerous as driving while drunk.
- Aggressive driving and speeding. Going over the speed limit can cause serious accidents to other drivers and pedestrians, as well as recklessly changing lanes suddenly.
Dangerous Intersections in Queens
When you are driving a motorcycle, paying close attention to your surroundings is crucial no matter where you are. It is also helpful to know which roads are considered the most dangerous intersections if you live or work in Queens.
Intersections with the highest rates of motor vehicle accidents in Queens include:
- Brookville Boulevard and Rockaway Boulevard
- Atlantic Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway
- Farmers Boulevard and Rockaway Boulevard
- Queens Boulevard and Woodhaven Boulevard
- College Point Boulevard and Roosevelt Avenue
Queens Motorcycle Accidents: Common Injuries
The potential injuries you might sustain if you are involved in a motorcycle accident may include:
- Road rash. Road rash occurs when a motorcycle rider is thrown from their vehicle and are is dragged along the road, damaging their skin.
- Head trauma. Protective gear, such as a helmet, is crucial to wear whenever you are on a motorcycle. Head trauma can change your life permanently, potentially causing cognitive issues, memory problems, emotional health struggles, and much more.
- Broken bones. It is very common for those involved in a motorcycle accident to break or fracture multiple bones.
- Spinal cord injuries. Spinal cord injuries can be particularly devastating if they leave a victim paralyzed, disabling them from work, and other activities.
The losses you may face as a result of your accident will depend on their severity. Any injury you sustain in a Queens motorcycle accident will likely require some degree of medical treatment, while your ability to pay your medical bills may be limited if your injuries also keep you from working.
You likely deserve to be compensated for such losses. Coordinate with a law firm in the Queens area to help you collect what you may be entitled to.
How a Motorcycle Accident Law Firm in the Queens Area Can Help
If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to obtain compensation for your medical bills and other relevant losses by filing a lawsuit against the negligent party. This can be a complex process, and enlisting the help of a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer before doing so can be beneficial. The following are a few ways our Queens motorcycle accident attorneys can help you:
- Filing a demand letter to the insurance company, providing evidence to show the amount of compensation you are seeking is fair
- Negotiating with the insurers. Insurance companies may prioritize their own financial interests when you seek compensation and try to offer low settlements if you do not have legal representation
- Handling all aspects of the legal process so that you can focus on your recovery
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
You need to look for a team with a consistent and proven track record of success when choosing a law firm in Queens. That is exactly what you will find at Shulman & Hill. Our skilled Queens motorcycle accident lawyers can demonstrate precisely how we have helped clients just like yourself secure compensation in the past.
Call us today at 212-221-1000 or schedule a free legal consultation online.