In a city with numerous tall buildings and cranes, being struck by a falling object is not uncommon. Our Staten Island falling objects injury lawyers at Shulman & Hill have helped many clients receive the compensation and benefits they need to fully recover after an accident like this.
If you have been injured by an object that fell in Staten Island, contact Shulman & Hill today to discuss the next steps for pursuing compensation. You can trust our experts to investigate your accident thoroughly and walk you through each step of the litigation process.
Causes of Staten Island Falling Object Accidents
With so many tall buildings throughout New York City, it is no surprise that falling object injuries are more common than elsewhere in the country. These accidents can occur in a variety of scenarios, some of them being:
- Construction sites. With towering structures constantly being built, maintained, and repaired, unsecured materials or tools are all too common. These items may result in serious injuries or fatalities if they fall.
- Dangerous buildings. Buildings that are old, decaying, and neglected are a safety hazard to passersby in busy areas. Loose bricks or even small pieces of siding can cause extreme injuries when they fall from a great height.
- Personal items. High-rise apartment buildings with over 1,000 tenants are a common sight in all boroughs of New York City. When you walk by a high-rise, you might be at risk of being struck by falling objects that were precariously placed on window ledges.
Falling Objects at Staten Island Construction Sites
Construction is a dangerous industry to work in. Falling objects account for a high number of injuries sustained by construction workers each year. OSHA includes falling objects in its list of the top four construction-related fatalities. According to OSHA, in 2018 there were 112 worker fatalities caused by workers being struck by an object.
Many events lead to objects falling, and almost all of them involve human error. Some common examples of these are unsecured equipment, scaffolding collapse, ceiling collapses, crane accidents, loose or shifting materials, equipment falling over, and insufficient overhead safety measures.
Common Injuries Caused by Falling Objects in Staten Island
When you are hit by an object that fell from above, it is likely to strike you in the head. Therefore, many falling object injuries involve injuries to the head and neck. Examples of common injuries caused by falling objects include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
Unfortunately, accidents involving falling objects may also result in death. If you lost a loved one to injuries sustained by a falling object, contact Shulman & Hill today to learn about your legal rights.
Safety Measures to Prevent Falling Objects
Construction workers have a right to a reasonably safe workplace. This includes adequate safety protection for workers who are exposed to falling object hazards and access to safety training.
OSHA has strict guidelines in place to minimize the occurrence of falling objects on job sites. The following safety precautions are only a small number on the long list of some of the required safeguards:
- Provide workers with adequate head protection
- Erect screens or guardrail systems that prevent objects from falling to a lower level
- Putting canopy structures in place
- Making sure that nothing is too close to an edge or in danger of falling
- Establishing rules to prevent workers from being too close to the edge of a roof without using required safety equipment
- Providing guardrail systems, safety net systems, travel restraint systems, and personal fall arrest systems when necessary
Who is Liable for My Injury?
There are a lot of factors to consider when determining liability for a falling object injury. If you were struck by an object while you were walking down the street, you may qualify to file a lawsuit against a property owner if the object fell from their premises.
If you were hit by a falling object while working on a construction site, you will most likely be able to file a workers’ compensation claim. Workers’ compensation benefits can provide you with:
- Weekly payments to help compensate for lost wages
- Coverage for medical bills relating to your treatment
- Death benefits for dependents of workers who suffered a fatality on the job
Injured workers may also qualify for a personal injury claim if their accident was caused by the negligence of a property owner, general contractor, or subcontractor.
How a Staten Island Lawyer Can Help
Without a considerable legal background, filing any kind of injury claim could be complicated.
Workers’ compensation claims can be denied for many reasons, such as:
- There were no witnesses or sufficient evidence documenting your accident or injury
- Your medical records do not sufficiently show that you were injured on the job
- The paperwork was incomplete or filed incorrectly
If you are pursuing a personal injury lawsuit, you may find that the insurance company refuses to settle or offers a low settlement amount.
In either of the above scenarios, our Staten Island attorneys can gather evidence and negotiate on your behalf.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
The Staten Island falling object injury lawyers at Shulman & Hill will do everything we can to advocate for your rights. Our team understands how complicated the aftermath of an accident can be and we are here to assist.
We can review your case for free and determine the best way to pursue compensation. Schedule a free consultation today to learn more about how we can help.