Workers’ Compensation Claims

You should inform your employer of the accident as soon as possible. If possible, report the accident in writing by completing an incident report or sending an email or text message. If you complete an incident report and have already given your employer notice of the accident, you should indicate on the incident report who you informed and the date you spoke with that person. You should report all injured body parts when giving notice to your employer.

You should seek treatment for your injuries as soon as possible. When seeking treatment, report all injured body parts. You can seek initial treatment at any medical facility, including hospitals and urgent care centers. You should request a copy of your initial treatment records. If you visited a hospital, you should request your full hospital records. Discharge paperwork is not sufficient.

After you have filed a Workers’ Compensation law claim, the insurance company will either accept or deny your claim. If the insurance company denies your claim, your case will be set for trial before a Workers’ Compensation Law Judge. While the parties litigate whether your claim is compensable, you should continue to treat with your doctors. If the Workers’ Compensation Law Judge decides that your case is compensable, you may be compensated for lost time, and the insurance company will pay for your medical treatment. You may also be entitled to a settlement for permanent damage as a result of the accident.