Anyone who lives or works in New York knows that cranes are a common sight in an urban environment. They often blend into the background and become a natural part of the skyline.
While you will hopefully never be injured in a New York crane accident, you may be entitled to compensation if you are involved in one. Working with a crane can be hazardous in many ways, and you may even be harmed as a pedestrian walking by a construction site.
You may be able to recover your losses if your accident was the result of someone else’s negligence. Review your case with a dedicated New York crane accident lawyer at Shulman & Hill to learn more about your options.
Crane Accidents in New York: Important Information
Cranes play a vital role in many construction jobs. This is particularly true in a city such as New York, where large-scale construction jobs are common due to the number of buildings being built or renovated every year.
Unfortunately, while cranes are very useful for urban development, they can also be dangerous. Statistics indicate that between 2011 and 2017, approximately 297 workers died in crane accidents in the United States. Workers who survive crane accidents are often left with debilitating injuries and require a long time to heal.
Severe injuries typically require costly medical treatment, both for immediate hospitalizations as well as future surgeries and long-term physical rehabilitation. Pain and reduced mobility may also restrict one from working, significantly limiting their ability to earn an income and cover piled-up expenses.
How New York Crane Accidents May Occur
The following are just a few common causes of crane accidents:
- A crane was overloaded
- A crane was not properly stabilized
- A crane operator was unqualified for the job
- The construction company or other relevant party failed to place proper caution signage warning pedestrians to avoid a dangerous worksite where a crane was in use
- A crane was not properly maintained
- A crane’s foundation was not strong enough to support it
- Proper crane operation procedures were unclear or otherwise not communicated to workers
- Miscommunication resulted in an accident
- A load was dropped without a crane operator giving proper warning to others nearby
Regardless of the specific cause of your New York crane accident, you are likely entitled to compensation for your medical bills and similar losses. Your chances of fairly collecting what you may be eligible for will be much greater if you coordinate with an experienced crane accidents law firm in New York.
Seeking Compensation After a New York Crane Accident
The majority of people injured in New York crane accidents are workers at job sites rather than bystanders. As such, the process of seeking compensation after such an accident typically involves filing a workers’ compensation claim.
All property owners, general contractors, and subcontractors must adhere to OSHA standards when working with these potentially dangerous pieces of equipment. Unfortunately, some may fail to do so.
If a third party failed to provide proper safety equipment or follow safety measures, they may also be held financially responsible for your losses. Our New York crane accident lawyers will thoroughly investigate your accident to identify all possible negligent parties.
It is not uncommon for an accident to qualify for both workers’ compensation and personal injury claims. A skilled lawyer in New York can review your case and tell you if you may be able to pursue additional compensation from a negligent third party.
How a Crane Accident Law Firm in New York Helps
Investigating your accident to identify who may be at fault is just one way our New York crane accident lawyers help. We can also:
- Review all relevant past, current, and future losses. A thorough account of these losses is key to negotiating for a fair settlement.
- Presenting evidence showing that you are genuinely entitled to the amount of compensation you are asking for, given the extent of your losses.
- Rejecting low offers. It is crucial to know that insurance companies may strive to pay out as little to claimants as possible. To optimize your chances of reaching a fair settlement, seek representation from a legal professional who knows how to effectively negotiate on your behalf.
- Filing paperwork by deadlines and handling similar administrative tasks. This gives you the freedom to focus on your recovery after your crane accident.
- Handling all correspondence with the insurance companies.
- Coordinating with medical and industrial experts when a professional evaluation is necessary.
- Representing you in trial and fighting for a favorable verdict if a third party’s insurance company refuses to agree to a fair settlement offer.
While ideally you will never be involved in a crane accident, it is important to protect your rights by working with a dedicated New York crane accident attorney if you do.
Why Choose Shulman & Hill?
Many law firms in New York advertise themselves as being more than capable of providing the aggressive representation you deserve. However, not all New York attorneys can truly deliver on such promises.
You need examples of previous success in order to trust that an attorney will represent you effectively. That is what we at Shulman & Hill will offer you. We will gladly discuss previous cases similar to yours that we have worked on, helping you understand how exactly we can support you. Start today by calling 212-221-1000 and scheduling a free legal consultation.