Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyer
Hurt and Overwhelmed? Talk to a Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyer
Have you or a loved one in the Brooklyn area been harmed in an accident caused by another party? If so, review your case with a personal injury attorney at Shulman & Hill in Brooklyn. We can help determine whether you may be entitled to compensation for losses such as medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, and more.
Call us at (555) 555-5555 to schedule a free consultation today.
Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyer Case Types
In a recent year, 55.4 million people in the U.S. sought medical treatment for preventable injuries, and over 200,000 died of such injuries. The Shulman & Hill personal injury attorneys in Brooklyn represent victims injured in many different kinds of accidents, including:
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Whether you were hit on Lawrence Street and Willoughby Street or rear-ended on Hooper and South Fifth Street, accidents happen, and our car accident attorneys are here to fight for you. Pursuing compensation after being injured in an accident involving some type of vehicle will always vary depending on the circumstances.
Since New York is a “no-fault” state, if you are hurt in a car crash, you would first pursue compensation for your medical expenses and property damage by filing a claim with your insurance carrier, even if someone else caused the accident. However, this will only cover some of your expenses. If another party caused your accident, like an at-fault driver, you can file a lawsuit to recover additional compensation.
In a busy environment like Brooklyn, pedestrians need to be on the lookout to avoid hazards. Unfortunately, even if you are careful when navigating the city, you may still be involved in an accident if the operator of a motor vehicle is careless.
According to accident statistics, some of the most dangerous roads in Brooklyn for pedestrians include Bedford Avenue, Ocean Avenue, Linden Boulevard, Adams Street, and Coney Island Avenue. No matter where your injury occurred, our Brooklyn pedestrian accident attorneys can help you secure compensation if this ever occurs.
Losing a loved one can leave you with severe emotional pain, especially when the loss is unexpected. It can also have a long-term impact on multiple areas of your life, including finances, personal responsibilities, and more. If another party’s carelessness resulted in the loss of your loved one, you could file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover compensation for your financial losses.
If you are on someone’s property, the property owner, manager, and other relevant parties have a legal responsibility to take reasonable measures to protect you from hazards that could foreseeably cause injuries. This may include fixing broken steps, mopping up spills in a timely manner, or warning visitors of uneven flooring that could cause a slip-and-fall accident.
If a property owner does not keep their premises in a reasonably safe condition, and you are injured as a result, you can seek compensation for your losses.
Dog Bites and Other Animal Attacks
Just as property owners have a responsibility to keep their guests and employees safe, dog and other pet owners, as well as those who harbor them, have to ensure their animals are not harmful to others. Brooklyn dog bite victims can recover compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit.
Burns can occur in many different ways. Severe burn injuries may require extensive and costly medical treatment. When a landlord fails to keep a property safe and a fire breaks out, they could be held liable for any burn injuries that occur.
If a burn injury occurs at work and a party other than the worker’s employer contributed to the accident, they may be held financially accountable. In most cases, the employee should also be entitled to workers’ compensation for their medical bills and lost wages.
Construction workers are frequently injured in scaffolding accidents due to the large number of high rises in Brooklyn and NYC. Our attorneys can help hold contractors and property owners accountable when a Brooklyn scaffolding accident is caused by their carelessness.
Aviation accidents can happen on commercial airplanes, sightseeing helicopters, private jets, or any aircraft. Pilots, airlines, aircraft owners, manufacturers, and mechanics are all responsible for meeting strict aviation standards and regulations put forth by the federal government. When these standards and regulations are not met, and they fail to take reasonable measures to keep passengers safe, they could be held liable for any injuries that occur.
The above list covers just a few of the types of personal injury cases Shulman & Hill in Brooklyn handles. Regardless of the specific nature of your case, when seeking compensation, it can be wise to hire a personal injury lawyer instead of working directly with the insurance companies.
Knowing how to proceed after an accident can be difficult if you are not familiar with all of the applicable laws. Fortunately, our personal injury lawyers in Brooklyn have the expertise necessary to help you pursue what you may be entitled to recover.
Financial Recovery Could Account for These Injury-Related Expenses
Through negotiations or a jury trial, you could secure compensation for your:
Past/Future Medical Expenses
You shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for anything related to your medical care. Our team can fight to have these expenses covered in your settlement:
- Assistive devices, such as wheelchairs
- Treatment, such as skin grafts or bone setting
- Emergency transportation
- Doctors’ visits
Past/Future Lost Income
A serious injury could impede your working ability. As a result, you could miss out on wages, tips, bonuses, and various benefits. Your condition could also affect your earning power. We can account for these losses in your claim’s value. To learn what you need, we may evaluate your employment records, information from your boss, and other related details.
Past/Future Pain and Suffering
Your injury-related hardships go beyond your medical needs and income losses. They can also affect your quality of life, day-to-day function, and overall well-being. Pain and suffering accounts for those challenges. We can learn about what you’re owed after evaluating your situation and weighing various factors.
We’ve Recovered More Than $250 Million in Damages
We know that we’re doing everything possible to serve injured people because of the feedback they leave behind. However, our case results also showcase our commitment to client satisfaction. Here are some brief stories about how we’ve helped people in situations like yours:
- Our client was a non-union construction worker who came to us after suffering injuries in their workplace. They suffered lower back and foot injuries that required surgery. We recovered $2.5 million for his losses.
- Our client was a bus driver who slipped and fell on a patch of ice at her workplace. She injured her left shoulder and both knees. We recovered $1.6 million through an insurance settlement.
- Our client was a bus driver stuck in stop-and-go traffic when she was rear-ended. She suffered injuries to her shoulders, back, and neck. We secured $1.5 million through negotiations.
These outcomes may not reflect how your case ends. Yet, they give insight into how we manage personal injury cases in Brooklyn. When we take on an injury case, we’re in it to win it.
When to Consider Calling a Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyer From Our Team
You may consider consulting our team if:
You Sustained a Serious Injury or a Permanent Disability
If you were severely injured or disabled in an accident, you likely have substantial medical bills and may need continued care in the future. If another party’s carelessness may have caused the accident, your Brooklyn personal injury attorney can consult medical experts to review how your injury happened and the past, current, and future effects it may have on your life. Our firm can also help you with a social security disability benefits application or appeal.
There Are Disputes Regarding Liability
Injured victims seeking compensation must prove that the other party’s carelessness caused their accident. If you were injured in an accident and the other party involved is denying liability, a personal injury lawyer serving the Brooklyn area can investigate the cause of the incident and gather evidence to help prove liability.
You Have Experienced Problems With the Insurance Company
If you were injured in a motor vehicle collision, a slip and fall, or a similar accident, and the insurance company doesn’t cooperate, it may be acting in bad faith to avoid paying your personal injury claim.
Personal injury lawyers in Brooklyn are familiar with the various tactics insurance companies may use and will not hesitate to take your case to trial if a fair settlement isn’t forthcoming.
Your Accident Involves Multiple Parties
Personal injury cases in which multiple parties are involved, such as a multi-vehicle car accident, a medical malpractice claim, or a construction accident, tend to be more complicated. A Brooklyn injury attorney at our firm can help establish all of the potential parties who may be at fault in order to increase the chances of a successful recovery.
The Other Party Blames You for the Accident
Even if another party’s insurance company accepts liability, it may still claim that your actions contributed to the accident as well. In New York, being declared partially at fault for an accident can negatively impact the amount of compensation you receive for your injuries, but it does not disqualify you from receiving compensation altogether. Our lawyers can help prove the other party’s liability and maximize the compensation available in your personal injury case.
Benefits of Working With Our Brooklyn Personal Injury Law Firm
We intend to support your right to damages by:
- Offering our knowledge. After being injured in an accident, you may feel pain, anger, and confusion. The trauma of an injury may make it difficult to handle your claim objectively to get the best possible outcome. Our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers have a deep understanding of the legal process and can help you navigate your claim to ensure you receive adequate compensation for your injuries.
- Identifying potentially liable parties. It may be unclear who is responsible for compensating you in a Brooklyn personal injury case. By investigating your accident thoroughly, we can help determine who was at fault for your accident and injuries.
- Pursuing fair compensation. Losses and damages resulting from an accident must be accounted for when pursuing compensation after you have been injured. Along with medical bills and lost wages (if you cannot return to work due to the severity of your injuries), there might be other financial and intangible losses, such as future medical care and pain and suffering. We can review your situation to help you assess whether a settlement offer is fair for your case.
- Corresponding and negotiating with insurers. Our Brooklyn personal injury attorneys can handle all correspondence with the insurance companies throughout the claims process. Not only does this give you more time to focus on recovering after an injury, but it also potentially helps you save money. Some insurers may prefer that claimants work with them directly, as that may make it easier to convince injured parties to settle for less than what their claims may be worth. Attorneys have the experience and training necessary to effectively negotiate for the full amount of compensation you may be entitled to recover.
- Helping expedite your claim. By retaining a lawyer immediately after getting injured in an accident, you can file a claim while you are still recovering. This can lead to you receiving compensation much more quickly than if you had handled the claim alone. Your Brooklyn personal injury attorney knows how to avoid common setbacks to reach a settlement as quickly as possible.
- Providing you with peace of mind during recovery. After being injured or losing a loved one in an accident, you may face severe physical pain, intense mental and emotional trauma, and mounting medical bills. Managing the process of a personal injury lawsuit can cause unneeded stress during a time you should be focused on recovering or grieving. A Brooklyn personal injury lawyer on our team can handle all of the logistics of your lawsuit and act as your advocate throughout the duration of your case, so you can focus on getting better.
Our primary goal is to reach an appropriate settlement in a reasonable timeframe while you recover. We want to ensure you collect sufficient compensation, given the extent and severity of your losses. That is why if we cannot reach a fair settlement with an insurance company, we can go to trial to pursue a favorable verdict on your behalf.
Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyer: Frequently Asked Questions
Right now, you may have these questions:
How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
Our personal injury lawyers in Brooklyn work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning you do not have to pay up front, and we only take fees if we reach a settlement.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Personal injury lawyers are civil litigators that focus on making victims whole by holding the potentially responsible party financially liable. Our personal injury attorneys in Brooklyn will guide you through the legal process, investigate all aspects of your situation to build a strong case, negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, fight for a fair settlement, and pursue your case at trial if a settlement doesn’t happen.
How Are Personal Injury Settlements Paid Out?
After reaching a settlement with the at-fault party, both parties and their lawyers will need to execute a final release and settlement agreement. The release waives your right to pursue compensation for this injury in the future. Next, your Brooklyn injury law firm will settle any outstanding liens with medical providers before the settlement check is sent out.
The opposing Insurance company will then send out the settlement check to your personal injury law firm in Brooklyn. From there, the lawyer will subtract their legal fees from your settlement. You will then receive your settlement check, which is the full settlement minus any medical liens, attorney’s fees, court costs, and loans.
What Percentage Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Take?
Most injury lawyers in Brooklyn who work on a contingency fee basis will charge one-third of the net compensation you receive, or 33.33%. Your net compensation is your final settlement amount after paying any liens or expenses. According to New York law, personal injury lawyers are prohibited from charging more than one-third of the net settlement amount.
What Percentage of Personal Injury Cases Go to Trial?
Personal injury claims make up a large percentage of all civil cases. The vast majority of these personal injury lawsuits are settled before they go to trial. Of the thousands of personal injury claims filed each year, only between 3 and 5% of these cases go to trial.
Our Injury Lawyers Help People Suffering From These Conditions
Our team strives to help personal injury victims recover compensation for their losses. We help claimants and their loved ones who suffer from:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- The loss of one or more limbs
- Spinal cord trauma, including paralysis
- Internal bleeding
- Soft-tissue injuries, such as sprains, strains, and whiplash
Even if you don’t see your particular injury listed above, we still want to hear from you. During our discussion, our team can review your case, listen to your story, and advise you on your next steps.
Measures After Suffering a Personal Injury in Brooklyn
You may have many concerns about your next steps. We’re here to alleviate that anxiety. First things first: we suggest that you seek medical attention as soon as possible. Doing so makes a connection between your accident and your condition. Also, any information you get from your healthcare provider can bolster your claim.
Some other post-accident considerations include:
Sharing All Settlement Offers With Your Lawyer
Do you know how much you’re owed for your injury-related losses––including pain and suffering? If not, then you don’t know what constitutes a fair settlement. When you refer settlement offers to your lawyer, you stop yourself from accepting a lowball offer. They can also negotiate for a settlement that accounts for the full scope of your injury-related hardships.
Refusing to Give a Recorded Statement
The insurance company may insist that you give a recorded statement. As appealing as this may initially seem, giving a recorded statement only gives the claims adjuster information to discredit your case. When you partner with our personal injury lawyers in Brooklyn, they can give the insurer all information needed to process your case.
Keeping All Information Related to Your Case
As your case progresses, you may come into possession of various evidence. This information could include a copy of the police report, your medical records, and emails between you and the involved parties. The more evidence to support your case, the better its outcome could be.
What to Expect During Your Free, No-Obligation Consultation
You never expected to suffer harm due to carelessness. Yet, here you are, undergoing treatment and missing days from work. We know that your time is valuable, and we want to put your anxieties to rest. So, we’ve put together a short list of things you could expect when you connect with us:
- Details about your next steps. Unsure of how to proceed? You’re not alone. If you’re unsure of how to file a claim, communicate with the involved parties, or otherwise move forward, we’re here to help. We want you to feel confident about what comes next for your claim.
- The chance to share your story. We want to learn how the accident has affected your life, function, and working ability. You can expect to share your experience with a compassionate individual who wants to advocate for you.
- Information about your legal options. You deserve to know about your rights as an injured individual, regardless of whether you choose to partner with us.
We Offer Resources to Injured Claimants
We want to support you and your case to the best of our ability. So, we’ve compiled some of our resources that can help you understand your options:
- Our frequently asked questions page. Do you still have questions about your personal injury case? We have a commonly asked questions page where you can get the answers to some general inquiries.
- Our blog. Shulman & Hill has some exciting things in the works right now, and we want you to know about them. One of our most recent accomplishments includes a successful case we brought before the Supreme Court. On our blog you can learn how our attorneys work together to get the best possible outcomes for our clients.
One of the biggest resources we offer potential clients is free case reviews. As noted, in one easy conversation, you can learn about the benefits of partnering with our law firm.
Learn How a Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You Today
Many personal injury law firms in Brooklyn advertise by insisting their attorneys are qualified to handle your case and offer aggressive representation. Yet, not all firms can legitimately deliver on such promises.
At Shulman & Hill, our lawyers have numerous past successes that make them uniquely qualified to help you after an injury. Take a look at our settlements and verdicts to see how we have helped other injured Brooklyn residents like yourself.
To learn more, call us today at (555) 555-5555 or schedule a free consultation online.
WE WORK WITH YOU
TO GET YOU COMPENSATED
Everyday working people often struggle to afford top-tier legal representation. To ensure equal access to justice, we work on a contingency-fee basis. You pay no attorneys’ fees unless we achieve a settlement or verdict in your case.
More practice areas
Over 400 million dollars won